The Empirical Impact of Bovine Somatotropin on a Group of New York Dairy Farms
Data from a panel of New York Dairy farms were used to estimate bST adoption functions, and to measure the impact of bST on milk output and profitability per cow. Adoption results are consistent with previous ex ante bST adoption studies. Farm size, productivity, and education of the principal operator are the most important explanatory variables influencing adoption. The use of bST was found to significantly increase milk output per cow net of other explanatory variables, correcting for self-selection with respect to bST use. The impact on profits was, however, not statistically different from zero at any conventional statistical significance level. Copyright 1999, Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 81 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kinnucan, Henry W. & Hatch, L. Upton & Molnar, Joseph J. & Venkateswaran, Meenakshi, 1990. "Scale Neutrality Of Bovine Somatotropin: Ex Ante Evidence From The Southeast," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(02), December.
- Tauer, Loren W. & Kaiser, Harry M., 1988. "Negative Milk Supply Response Under Constrained Profit Maximizing Behavior," Northeastern Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 17(2), October.
- Stefanides, Zdenko & Tauer, Loren W., 1998.
"The Empirical Impact Of Bovine Somatotropin On A Group Of New York Dairy Farms,"
1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT
20888, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Zdenko Stefanides & Loren W. Tauer, 1999. "The Empirical Impact of Bovine Somatotropin on a Group of New York Dairy Farms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(1), pages 95-102.
- Stefanides, Zdenko & Tauer, Loren W., 1998. "The Empirical Impact Of Bovine Somatotropin On A Group Of New York Dairy Farms," Working Papers 7263, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Feder, Gershon & Just, Richard E & Zilberman, David, 1985. "Adoption of Agricultural Innovations in Developing Countries: A Survey," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(2), pages 255-98, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:ajagec:v:81:y:1999:i:1:p:95-102. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.