Economic Statistics and U.S. Agricultural Policy
Economic statistics can be used to inform policy as it is being designed, avoid policy design mistakes, or implement government programs once they are established into law. Oftentimes, statistics are used for all three purposes. This paper considers the relationships between statistics and agricultural policy in the case of the United States. We address first the broad historical picture of U.S. official economic statistics concerning agriculture, and then turn to selected examples that relate policies to economic statistics in more detail. The examples show diversity in the interplay between statistics and policy. As policies have become broader in scope, addressing not only farm commodity markets but also differences among farms and a widening set of activities on farms, policymakers have asked for more detailed information about the financial situation of individual farm businesses and households, sources of risk in farm returns, and production practices that affect the environment.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.iaae-agecon.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth Baum & James D. Johnson, 1986. "Microeconomic Indicators of the Farm Sector and Policy Implications," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 68(5), pages 1121-1129.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Ashok K. Mishra, 2006. "Are “Decoupled” Farm Program Payments Really Decoupled? An Empirical Evaluation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(1), pages 73-89.
- Gardner, Bruce L, 1992. "Changing Economic Perspectives on the Farm Problem," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(1), pages 62-101, March.
- Hoppe, Robert A. & Banker, David E., 2006. "Structure and Finances of U.S. Farms: 2005 Family Farm Report," Economic Information Bulletin 33895, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Dale E. Hathaway, 1963. "Improving and Extending Farm-Nonfarm Income Comparisons," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 45(2), pages 367-375.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:iaae06:25498. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.