Food Calorie Intake under Grain Price Uncertainty: Evidence from Rural Nepal
This study evaluates the effects of grain output price uncertainty on the farm income of rural households and, consequently, how this uncertainty influences caloric intake through changes in farm income. Using a rural household data set, augmented with output price uncertainty measures calculated from historical time-series data, we find that grain output price uncertainty tends to decrease crop production income of rural households. In addition, we find that higher crop income from production increases calorie intake of rural households. Taken together, these results suggests that output price uncertainty during the production process may tend to reduce caloric intake of rural Nepalese households since the price uncertainty negatively affects the crop income households need to buy calorie-rich staple foods.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Behrman, Jere R & Deolalikar, Anil B, 1987. "Will Developing Country Nutrition Improve with Income? A Case Study for Rural South India," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(3), pages 492-507, June.
- Trevon D. Logan, 2005.
"The Transformation of Hunger: The Demand for Calories Past and Present,"
NBER Working Papers
11754, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Logan, Trevon D., 2009. "The Transformation of Hunger: The Demand for Calories Past and Present," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 69(02), pages 388-408, June.
- Timothy K.M. Beatty & Jeffrey T. LaFrance, 2005. "United States Demand for Food and Nutrition in the Twentieth Century," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(5), pages 1159-1166.
- Singh, Inderjit & Squire, Lyn & Strauss, John, 1986. "A Survey of Agricultural Household Models: Recent Findings and Policy Implications," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 1(1), pages 149-79, September.
- Strauss, John & Thomas, Duncan, 1995. "Human resources: Empirical modeling of household and family decisions," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 34, pages 1883-2023 Elsevier.
- Ravallion, Martin, 1990. "Income Effects on Undernutrition," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 38(3), pages 489-515, April.
- Philip J. Dawson & Richard Tiffin, 1998. "Estimating the Demand for Calories in India," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(3), pages 474-481.
- Colin A. Carter & Funing Zhong, 1999. "Rural Wheat Consumption in China," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 582-592.
- Sarris, Alexander, 2002. "The demand for commodity insurance by developing country agricultural producers - theory and an application to cocoa in Ghana," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2887, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea08:6198. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.