Measuring the Speed of Convergence of Stock Prices: A Nonparametric and Nonlinear Approach
This paper evaluates the speed of convergence across national stock markets employing a nonlinear, nonparametric stochastic model of relative stock prices. We use operational algorithms for estimating general measures of persistence of the relative stock price that are based on two statistical notions: the short memory in mean (SMM) and the short memory in distribution (SMD). Using G7 countries¡¯ stock indices, we obtain strong empirical evidence in favor of the contrarian strategy for France, Germany, Italy, and the UK relative to the US market, while our results imply quite limited usefulness of the strategy for Canada and Japan. Further, we obtain fairly fast convergence rates toward the equilibrium for the former group.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (334) 844-4910
Fax: (334) 844-4615
Web page: http://cla.auburn.edu/economics/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deb, Partha & Sefton, Martin, 1996. "The distribution of a Lagrange multiplier test of normality," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 123-130, May.
- Gallagher, Liam A & Taylor, Mark P, 2001. "Risky Arbitrage, Limits of Arbitrage, and Nonlinear Adjustment in the Dividend-Price Ratio," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 39(4), pages 524-36, October.
- Mototsugu Shintani, 2002.
"A Nonparametric Measure of Convergence Toward Purchasing Power Parity,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
0219, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics, revised Jul 2004.
- Mototsugu Shintani, 2006. "A nonparametric measure of convergence towards purchasing power parity," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(5), pages 589-604.
- Mototsugu Shintani, 2003. "A Nonparametric Measure of Convergence Toward Purchasing Power Parity," Levine's Working Paper Archive 506439000000000172, David K. Levine.
- Chen, Shu-Ling & Kim, Hyeongwoo, 2008.
"Nonlinear Mean Reversion across National Stock Markets: Evidence from Emerging Asian Markets,"
18680, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2009.
- Shu-Ling Chen & Hyeongwoo Kim, 2011. "Nonlinear Mean Reversion across National Stock Markets: Evidence from Emerging Asian Markets," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(2), pages 239-250.
- Kim, Hyeongwoo, 2009. "On the usefulness of the contrarian strategy across national stock markets: A grid bootstrap analysis," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 734-744, December.
- Chowdhury, Ibrahim & Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 2002.
"Non-Linear Dynamics in Deviations from the Law of One Price: A Broad-Based Empirical Study,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3377, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P. & Chowdhury, Ibrahim, 2004. "Nonlinear dynamics in deviations from the law of one price: a broad-based empirical study," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Ronald Balvers & Yangru Wu & Erik Gilliland, 2000. "Mean Reversion across National Stock Markets and Parametric Contrarian Investment Strategies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(2), pages 745-772, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:abn:wpaper:auwp2013-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hyeongwoo Kim)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.