The Grid Bootstrap And The Autoregressive Model
A "grid" bootstrap method is proposed for confidence-interval construction, which has improved performance over conventional bootstrap methods when the sampling distribution depends upon the parameter of interest. The basic idea is to calculate the bootstrap distribution over a grid of values of the parameter of interest and form the confidence interval by the no-rejection principle. Our primary motivation is given by autoregressive models, where it is known that conventional bootstrap methods fail to provide correct first-order asymptotic coverage when an autoregressive root is close to unity. In contrast, the grid bootstrap is first-order correct globally in the parameter space. Simulation results verify these insights, suggesting that the grid bootstrap provides an important improvement over conventional methods. Gauss code that calculates the grid bootstrap intervals - and replicates the empirical work reported in this paper - is available from the author's Web page at www.ssc.wisc.edu~bhansen. © 2000 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 81 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journal-home.tcl?issn=00346535|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrews, Donald W K & Chen, Hong-Yuan, 1994. "Approximately Median-Unbiased Estimation of Autoregressive Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(2), pages 187-204, April.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Victor Solo, 1989. "Asymptotics for Linear Processes," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 932, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Knight, J.L. & Satchell, S.E., 1993. "Asymptotic Expansions for Random Walks with Normal Errors," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(03), pages 363-376, June.
- Jean-Marie Dufour, 1997. "Some Impossibility Theorems in Econometrics with Applications to Structural and Dynamic Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(6), pages 1365-1388, November.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1992. "Convergence to Stochastic Integrals for Dependent Heterogeneous Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(04), pages 489-500, December.
- Davidson, James, 1994. "Stochastic Limit Theory: An Introduction for Econometricians," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774037, December.
- Peter C. Schotman & Herman K. van Dijk, 1991.
"On Bayesian routes to unit roots,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
43, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Diebold, Francis X & Senhadji, Abdelhak S, 1996. "The Uncertain Unit Root in Real GNP: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1291-98, December.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:8:y:1992:i:4:p:489-500 is not listed on IDEAS
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993. "Exactly Median-Unbiased Estimation of First Order Autoregressive/Unit Root Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(1), pages 139-65, January.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:9:y:1993:i:3:p:363-76 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nelson, Charles R. & Plosser, Charles I., 1982. "Trends and random walks in macroeconmic time series : Some evidence and implications," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 139-162.
- Nankervis, John C & Savin, N E, 1996. "The Level and Power of the Bootstrap t Test in the AR(1) Model with Trend," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(2), pages 161-68, April.
- J. Carpenter, 1999. "Test inversion bootstrap confidence intervals," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 61(1), pages 159-172.
- Phillips, Peter C B, 1977. "Approximations to Some Finite Sample Distributions Associated with a First-Order Stochastic Difference Equation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(2), pages 463-85, March.
- Lutz Kilian, 1998. "Small-Sample Confidence Intervals For Impulse Response Functions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(2), pages 218-230, May.
- Wolf, Michael & Romano, Joseph P., 1998. "Subsampling confidence intervals for the autoregressive root," DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS 6268, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tpr:restat:v:81:y:1999:i:4:p:594-607. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kristin Waites)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.