The Roles of Marketing, Product Quality, and Price Competition in the Growth and Composition of the U.S. Antiulcer Drug Industry
In: The Economics of New Goods
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Ernst R. Berndt & Linda Bui & David Reiley & Glen Urban, 1994. "The Roles of Marketing, Product Quality and Price Competition in the Growth and Composition of the U.S. Anti-Ulcer Drug Industry," NBER Working Papers 4904, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
References listed on IDEAS
- Diewert, Erwin, 2007. "Index Numbers," Economics working papers diewert-07-01-03-08-17-23, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 31 Jan 2007.
- Leffler, Keith B, 1981. "Persuasion or Information? The Economics of Prescription Drug Advertising," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(1), pages 45-74, April.
- Schmalensee, Richard, 1982.
"Product Differentiation Advantages of Pioneering Brands,"
American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 349-365, June.
- Schmalensee, Richard., 1980. "Product differentiation advantages of pioneering brands," Working papers 1140-80., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Reekie, W Duncan, 1978. "Price and Quality Competition in the United States Drug Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(3), pages 223-237, March.
- Glen L. Urban & Theresa Carter & Steven Gaskin & Zofia Mucha, 1986. "Market Share Rewards to Pioneering Brands: An Empirical Analysis and Strategic Implications," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(6), pages 645-659, June.
- Perloff, Jeffrey M. & Suslow, Valerie Y. & Seguin, Paul J., 1995.
"Higher Prices from Entry: Pricing of Brand-Name Drugs,"
Competition Policy Center, Working Paper Series
qt75g4k1nt, Competition Policy Center, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Perloff, Jeffrey M. & Suslow, Valerie Y. & Seguin, Paul J., 1996. "Higher Prices from Entry: Pricing of Brand-Name Drugs," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt1sh175fc, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Perloff, Jeffrey M. & Suslow, Valerie Y. & Seguin, Paul J., 1996. "Higher Prices From Entry: Pricing Of Brand-Name Drugs," CUDARE Working Papers 25104, University of California, Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Perloff, Jeffrey M. & Suslow, Valerie Y. & Seguin, Paul J., 1995. "Higher Prices from Entry: Pricing of Brand-Name Drugs," Competition Policy Center, Working Paper Series qt1ts674n2, Competition Policy Center, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Peter C. Reiss, 1990. "Entry in Monopoly Market," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(4), pages 531-553.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998.
"R&D and Productivity Growth at the Industry Level: Is There Still a Relationship?,"
NBER Chapters, in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 213-240,
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Griliches & Frank R. Lichtenberg, 1984. "R&D and Productivity Growth at the Industry Level: Is There Still a Relationship?," NBER Chapters, in: R&D, Patents, and Productivity, pages 465-502, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berndt, Ernst R & Wood, David O, 1979. "Engineering and Econometric Interpretations of Energy-Capital Complementarity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(3), pages 342-354, June.
- Gurumurthy Kalyanaram & Glen L. Urban, 1992. "Dynamic Effects of the Order of Entry on Market Share, Trial Penetration, and Repeat Purchases for Frequently Purchased Consumer Goods," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 11(3), pages 235-250.
- Samuelson, William & Zeckhauser, Richard, 1988. "Status Quo Bias in Decision Making," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 7-59, March.
- Cocks, Douglas L & Virts, John R, 1974. "Pricing Behavior of the Ethical Pharmaceutical Industry," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(3), pages 349-362, July.
- Gasmi, F. & Laffont, J. J. & Vuong, Q. H., 1990. "A structural approach to empirical analysis of collusive behavior," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(2-3), pages 513-523, May.
- David B. Montgomery & Alvin J. Silk, 1972. "Estimating Dynamic Effects of Market Communications Expenditures," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(10), pages 485-501, June.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Abbott, Thomas III, 1995. "Price regulation in the pharmaceutical industry: Prescription or placebo?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 551-565, December.
- Iain M. Cockburn & Aslam H. Anis, 2001. "Hedonic Analysis of Arthritis Drugs," NBER Chapters, in: Medical Care Output and Productivity, pages 439-462, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew Ching, 2000. "Dynamic Equilibrium in the US Prescription Drug Market After Patent Expiration," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1242, Econometric Society.
- Lee, Chung-Ying, 2020. "Pricing strategy and moral hazard: Copay coupons in pharmaceuticals," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 70(C).
- Ching, Andrew T., 2010.
"Consumer learning and heterogeneity: Dynamics of demand for prescription drugs after patent expiration,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 619-638, November.
- Ching, Andrew, 2008. "Consumer Learning and Heterogeneity: Dynamics of Demand for Prescription Drugs after Patent Expiration," MPRA Paper 7265, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sara Fisher Ellison & Catherine Wolfram, 2001. "Pharmaceutical Prices and Political Activity," NBER Working Papers 8482, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berndt, Ernst R. & Pindyck, Robert S. & Azoulay, Pierre, 1970-, 1998.
"Network effects and diffusion in pharmaceutical markets : antiulcer drugs,"
WP 4059-98., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Robert S. Pindyck & Pierre Azoulay, 1999. "Network Effects and Diffusion in Pharmaceutical Markets: Antiulcer Drugs," NBER Working Papers 7024, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ching, Andrew & Ishihara, Masakazu, 2007. "The Effects of Detailing on Prescribing Decisions under Two-Sided Learning," MPRA Paper 4935, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jonathan Skinner & Douglas Staiger, 2007.
"Technology Adoption from Hybrid Corn to Beta-Blockers,"
NBER Chapters, in: Hard-to-Measure Goods and Services: Essays in Honor of Zvi Griliches, pages 545-570,
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan Skinner & Douglas Staiger, 2005. "Technology adoption from hybrid corn to beta blockers," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Jonathan Skinner & Douglas Staiger, 2005. "Technology Adoption From Hybrid Corn to Beta Blockers," NBER Working Papers 11251, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yaroslav Kryukov, "undated". "Dynamic R&D and the Effectiveness of Policy Intervention in the Pharmaceutical Industry," GSIA Working Papers 2015-E33, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Pierre Dubois & Rachel Griffith & Martin O’Connell, 2018.
"The Effects of Banning Advertising in Junk Food Markets,"
Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 85(1), pages 396-436.
- Dubois, Pierre & Griffith, Rachel & O'Connell, Martin, 2016. "The effects of banning advertising in junk food markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 11316, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dubois, Pierre & Griffith, Rachel & O'Connell, Martin, 2016. "The effects of banning advertising in junk food markets," TSE Working Papers 16-647, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE), revised Dec 2016.
- Amitabh Chandra & David Malenka & Jonathan Skinner, 2014. "The Diffusion of New Medical Technology: The Case of Drug-Eluting Stents," NBER Chapters, in: Discoveries in the Economics of Aging, pages 389-403, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Venkataraman, S. & Stremersch, S., 2007. "The Debate on Influencing Doctors’ Decisions: Are Drug Characteristics the Missing Link?," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2007-056-MKT, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Marco Ottaviani, "undated". "Monopoly Pricing with Social Learning," ELSE working papers 035, ESRC Centre on Economics Learning and Social Evolution.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Ruiz-Conde, Enar & Wieringa, Jaap E. & Leeflang, Peter S.H., 2014. "Competitive diffusion of new prescription drugs: The role of pharmaceutical marketing investment," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Elsevier, vol. 88(C), pages 49-63.
- Govert E. Bijwaard & Maarten C.W. Janssen & Emiel Maasland, 2005. "Early Mover Advantages," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 05-007/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Clement, Michel & Litfin, Thorsten & Vanini, Sven, 1997. "Ist die Pionierrolle ein Erfolgsfaktor? Eine kritische Analyse der empirischen Forschungsergebnisse," Manuskripte aus den Instituten für Betriebswirtschaftslehre der Universität Kiel 446, Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel, Institut für Betriebswirtschaftslehre.
- Urban, Glen L. & Kalyanaram, Gurumurthy., 1990. "Dynamic effects of the order of entry on market share trial penetration, and repeat purchases for frequently purchased consumer goods," Working papers 3207-90., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Scott Morton, Fiona M., 2000. "Barriers to entry, brand advertising, and generic entry in the US pharmaceutical industry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(7), pages 1085-1104, October.
- John Hauser & Gerard J. Tellis & Abbie Griffin, 2006. "Research on Innovation: A Review and Agenda for," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(6), pages 687-717, 11-12.
- Riemer, Hila & Mallik, Suman & Sudharshan, Devanathan, 2002. "Market Shares Follow the Zipf Distribution," Working Papers 02-0125, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Business.
- Mateusz Zawisza & Bogumil Kaminski, 2013. "Price patterns in an oligopoly with switching cost and uncertain demand," Operations Research and Decisions, Wroclaw University of Technology, Institute of Organization and Management, vol. 3, pages 71-89.
- Roger Feldman & Félix Lobo, 2013. "Competition in prescription drug markets: the roles of trademarks, advertising, and generic names," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 14(4), pages 667-675, August.
- Richard G. Frank & David S. Salkever, 1991. "Pricing, Patent Loss and the Market For Pharmaceuticals," NBER Working Papers 3803, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodríguez-Pinto, Javier & Carbonell, Pilar & Rodríguez-Escudero, Ana I., 2011. "Speed or quality? How the order of market entry influences the relationship between market orientation and new product performance," International Journal of Research in Marketing, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 145-154.
- Mascarenhas, Briance, 1997. "The order and size of entry into international markets," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 287-299, July.
- Covin, Jeffrey G. & Slevin, Dennis P. & Heeley, Michael B., 2000. "Pioneers and followers: Competitive tactics, environment, and firm growth," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 175-210, March.
- Tufano, Peter, 1989. "Financial innovation and first-mover advantages," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 213-240, December.
- Ma, Hengyun & Oxley, Les & Gibson, John, 2010.
"China's energy economy: A survey of the literature,"
Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 105-132, June.
- Hengyun Ma & Les Oxley, 2009. "China’s Energy Economy: A Survey of the Literature," Working Papers in Economics 09/02, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Mitsukuni Nishida, 2018. "A Structural Analysis of Entry Order, Performance, and Geography: The Case of the Convenience-Store Industry in Japan," KIER Working Papers 993, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Martin Spann & Marc Fischer & Gerard J. Tellis, 2015. "Skimming or Penetration? Strategic Dynamic Pricing for New Products," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(2), pages 235-249, March.
- Himme, Alexander, 2005. "Der Einfluss der Markteintrittsreihenfolge auf den Unternehmenserfolg: Eine Zusammenfassung empirischer Arbeiten und Leitlinien für die weitere Forschung auf diesem Gebiet," Manuskripte aus den Instituten für Betriebswirtschaftslehre der Universität Kiel 600, Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel, Institut für Betriebswirtschaftslehre.
- repec:wut:journl:v:3:y:2013:id:1089 is not listed on IDEAS
- Matthias Greuner & David Kamerschen & Peter Klein, 2000. "The Competitive Effects of Advertising in the US Automobile Industry, 1970-94," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(3), pages 245-261.
- J. Miguel Villas-Boas, 2004. "Consumer Learning, Brand Loyalty, and Competition," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(1), pages 134-145, December.
More about this item
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure, Pricing, and Design - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- L65 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Chemicals; Rubber; Drugs; Biotechnology; Plastics
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberch:6070. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/nberrus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.