Instruments for Curbing Fluctuations in Lending over the Business Cycle
In: CNB Financial Stability Report 2008/2009
This article sets out to discuss instruments for reducing procyclical bank lending behaviour. Special attention is given to how much the regulatory framework contributes to the procyclicality of the financial system. The main subject of the article is the dynamic provisioning regime currently under discussion as one of the possible regulatory responses to the ongoing global financial crisis. The analysis reveals that Czech banks are among those that provision in a procyclical manner. On the theoretical level, therefore, dynamic provisioning could in the Czech economy help create a buffer during good times which could then be used during recessions. On the practical level, however, dynamic provisioning would for numerous reasons be difficult to introduce and would first need to be aligned with the other components of the international framework for the regulation of financial institutions.
|This chapter was published in: Jan Frait & Zlatuse Komarkova CNB Financial Stability Report 2008/2009, , chapter Thematic Article 1, pages 72-81, 2009.|
|This item is provided by Czech National Bank, Research Department in its series Occasional Publications - Chapters in Edited Volumes with number fsr0809/1.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Na Prikope 28, 115 03 Prague 1|
Phone: 00420 2 2442 1111
Fax: 00420 2 2421 8522
Web page: http://www.cnb.cz/en/research/research_intro/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J.A. Bikker & P.A.J. Metzemakers, 2002.
"Bank provisioning behaviour and procyclicality,"
Research Series Supervision (discontinued)
50, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- Bikker, J.A. & Metzemakers, P.A.J., 2005. "Bank provisioning behaviour and procyclicality," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 141-157, April.
- Laeven, Luc & Majnoni, Giovanni, 2003.
"Loan loss provisioning and economic slowdowns: too much, too late?,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 178-197, April.
- Luc Laeven & Giovanni Majnoni, 2002. "Loan loss provisioning and economic slowdowns: too much too late?," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Laeven, Luc & Majnoni, Giovanni, 2001. "Loan loss provisioning and economic slowdowns : too much, too late?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2749, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cnb:ocpubc:fsr0809/1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jan Babecky)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.