The effects of prudential policy measures on financial stability in post-transition countries
The empirical research of prudential measures effectiveness is still scarce, especially for central and southeast European countries. The aim of this paper is to analyze the effects of prudential policy on financial stability of post-transition bank-oriented countries using panel data analysis approach. Using the sample of central and southeast European countries for the period 1998 – 2010, we found that these measures generally reduce the level of non-performing loans, increase the level of profitability, partially affect banking system liquidity, but do not improve credit to deposit ratio. We point out two main conclusions: (1) prudential measures positively affect banking system stability expressed through financial stability indicators; (2) prudential measures represent important instrument of a central bank orchestra.
Volume (Year): 31 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://www.efri.uniri.hr/en/proceedingsEmail:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Domac, Ilker & Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad, 2003.
"Banking crises and exchange rate regimes: is there a link?,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 41-72, October.
- Domac, Ilker & Martinez-Peria, Maria Soledad, 2000. "Banking crises and exchange rate regimes - Is there a link?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2489, The World Bank.
- Dimitrios P Tsomocos & O. AspachsC. GoodhartM. SegovianoL. Zicchino, 2006.
"Searching for a Metric for Financial Stability,"
Economics Series Working Papers
2006-FE-09, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Lea Zicchino & Dimitrios Tsomocos & Miguel Segoviano & Charles Goodhart & Oriol Aspachs Bracon, 2006. "Searching for a Metric for Financial Stability," FMG Special Papers sp167, Financial Markets Group.
- O. Aspachs & C. Goodhart & M. Segoviano & D. Tsomocos & L. Zicchino, 2006. "Searching for a Metric for Financial Stability," OFRC Working Papers Series 2006fe09, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 1998. "The Determinants of Banking Crises in Developing and Developed Countries," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(1), pages 81-109, March.
- M S Mohanty & Philip Turner, 2008. "Monetary policy transmission in emerging market economies: what is new?," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Transmission mechanisms for monetary policy in emerging market economies, volume 35, pages 1-59 Bank for International Settlements.
- Albert, Jose Ramon G. & Schou-Zibell, Lotte & Song, Lei Lei, 2012.
"A Macroprudential Framework for Monitoring and Examining Financial Soundness,"
DP 2012-22, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Schou-Zibell, Lotte & Albert, Jose Ramon & Song, Lei Lei, 2010. "A Macroprudential Framework for Monitoring and Examining Financial Soundness," Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration 43, Asian Development Bank.
- Daniel C. Hardy & Ceyla Pazarbasioglu, 1999. "Determinants and Leading Indicators of Banking Crises: Further Evidence," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 46(3), pages 1.
- Cihák, Martin & Schaeck, Klaus, 2010. "How well do aggregate prudential ratios identify banking system problems?," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 130-144, September.
- Jan Frait & Zlatuse Komarkova, 2009. "Instruments for Curbing Fluctuations in Lending over the Business Cycle," Occasional Publications - Chapters in Edited Volumes, in: CNB Financial Stability Report 2008/2009, chapter 0, pages 72-81 Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8973, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rfe:zbefri:v:31:y:2013:i:1:p:9-34. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antica Sergovic)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.