Searching for a Metric for Financial Stability
We propose a metric of financial stability that is a weighted average of the probability of default and the equity of each country. The weights are obtained in the VAR and must reflect that the welfare changes due to financial instability are produced primarily through changes of the probability of default and secondarily through changes of the equity value. The metric is based on the definition of financial instability suggested by Tsomocos (2003 a and b) and Goodhart, Sunirand and Tsomocos (2006).
Other versions of this item:
- Miguel Ángel Morales Mosquera, "undated".
"Concentración y estabilidad financiero: el caso del sistema bancario colombiano,"
Temas de Estabilidad Financiera
058, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Miguel Ángel Morales M., 2011. "Concentración y Estabilidad Financiera: el Caso del Sistema Bancario Colombiano," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 009250, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Blaise Gadanecz & Kaushik Jayaram, 2009. "Measures of financial stability - a review," IFC Bulletins chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Proceedings of the IFC Conference on "Measuring financial innovation and its impact", Basel, 26-27 August 2008, volume 31, pages 365-380 Bank for International Settlements.
- International Monetary Fund, 2009. "Cyprus; Financial Sector Assessment Program Update: Technical Note: Measuring Banking Stability in Cyprus," IMF Staff Country Reports 09/171, International Monetary Fund.
- Dairo Estrada & Miguel Ángel Morales Mosquera, "undated". "Indice de Estabilidad Financiera para Colombia," Temas de Estabilidad Financiera 038, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Goodhart, C.A.E. & Sunirand, P. & Tsomocos, D.P., 2011. "The optimal monetary instrument for prudential purposes," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 70-77, June.
- C.A.E. Goodhart & P. Sunirand & D.P. Tsomocos, 2008. "The Optimal Monetary Instrument for Prudential Purposes," OFRC Working Papers Series 2008fe26, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Charles Goodhart & Dimitrios Tsomocos & Pojanart Sunirand, 2008. "The Optimal Monetary Instrument for Prudential Purposes," FMG Discussion Papers dp617, Financial Markets Group.
- Mario Pecaric & Josip Viskovic, 2013. "The effects of prudential policy measures on financial stability in post-transition countries," Zbornik radova Ekonomskog fakulteta u Rijeci/Proceedings of Rijeka Faculty of Economics, University of Rijeka, Faculty of Economics, vol. 31(1), pages 9-34.
- Jan Willem van den End, 2010. "Liquidity Stress-Tester: A Model for Stress-testing Banks' Liquidity Risk," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 56(1), pages 38-69, March.
- Jan Willem van den End, 2008. "Liquidity Stress-Tester: A macro model for stress-testing banks' liquidity risk," DNB Working Papers 175, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- C. A. E. Goodhart & Miguel A. Segoviano Basurto, 2009. "Banking Stability Measures," IMF Working Papers 09/4, International Monetary Fund.
- Eric Wong & Cho-Hoi Hui, 2009. "A Liquidity Risk Stress-Testing Framework with Interaction between Market and Credit Risks," Working Papers 0906, Hong Kong Monetary Authority.
- Apostolakis, George & Papadopoulos, Athanasios P., 2015. "Financial stress spillovers across the banking, securities and foreign exchange markets," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 19(C), pages 1-21.
- Miguel Morales & Dairo Estrada, 2010. "A financial stability index for Colombia," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 555-581, October.
- Santiago Caicedo & Dairo Estrada & Mariana Laverde, "undated". "Countercyclical banking capital bu ers in a DSGE model," Temas de Estabilidad Financiera 071, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Mark Swinburne & StÃ©phanie Marie Stolz & Marina Moretti, 2008. "Stress Testing at the IMF," IMF Working Papers 08/206, .
- Jaume Puig & Ken Miyajima & Rebecca McCaughrin & Peter Dattels, 2010. "Can You Map Global Financial Stability?," IMF Working Papers 10/145, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sbs:wpsefe:2006fe09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maxine Collett)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers on various economics topics
Upload your paper to be listed on RePEc and IDEAS
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed