Global monitoring with the BIS international banking statistics
In: Research on global financial stability: the use of BIS international financial statistics
This paper illustrates various applications of the BIS international banking statistics. We first compare international bank flows to measures of real activity and liquidity and show that the international banking system is becoming a more important conduit for the transfer of capital across countries. We then use network analysis tools to construct a bird's eye view of the structure of the international banking market and to identify key financial hubs. Linking this information with balance of payments statistics helps to better understand the role of banks in the financing of current account flows, for example the recycling of petrodollars and Asian surpluses. Finally, the paper illustrates how the BIS statistics can be used to analyse internationally active banks' foreign exposures to credit risk and, thus, spot vulnerabilities in the international banking market.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|This chapter was published in: ||This item is provided by Bank for International Settlements in its series CGFS Papers chapters with number
29-09.||Handle:|| RePEc:bis:biscgc:29-09||Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centralbahnplatz 2, CH - 4002 Basel|
Phone: (41) 61 - 280 80 80
Fax: (41) 61 - 280 91 00
Web page: http://www.bis.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Niehans, Jurg & Hewson, John, 1976. "The Eurodollar Market and Monetary Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 8(1), pages 1-27, February.
- Patrick McGuire & Nikola Tarashev, 2006. "Tracking international bank flows," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, December.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2003. "Guide to the international financial statistics," BIS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 14, September.
- Patrick McGuire & Philip Wooldridge, 2005. "The BIS consolidated banking statistics: structure, uses and recent enhancements," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, September.
- McKinnon, Ronald I., 1979. "Money in International Exchange: The Convertible Currency System," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195024098.