Turmoil at Twenty : Recession, Recovery, and Reform in Central and Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union
This book, written on the eve of the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin wall in 1989, addresses three questions that relate to recession, recovery, and reform, respectively, in Europe and Central Asia (ECA) transition countries. Did the transition from a command to a market economy and the period when it took place, plant the seeds of vulnerability that made transition countries (the region excluding Turkey) more prone to crisis than developing countries generally? Did choices made on the road from plan to market shape the ability of affected countries to recover from the crisis? What structural reforms do transition countries need to undertake to address the most binding constraints to growth in a world where financial markets have become more discriminating and where capital flows to transition and developing countries are likely to be considerably lower than before the crisis? This report is structured as follows: chapter one of the book analyses how countries fell into recession and crisis, why not all of them were equally affected, and whether different policies could have positioned them better to face the crisis. Chapter two discusses rescue and stabilization and the role of international collective action. The next two chapters focus on policies for recovery, chapter three on restructuring bank, corporate and household debt and chapter four on scaling up social safety nets. Chapters five and six focus on reform, examining the binding constraints to growth and the policy agenda in the most important sectors identified by that analysis.
|This book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 2682 and published in 2010.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: https://openknowledge.worldbank.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Loayza, Norman & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus & Serven, Luis, 2000. "What drives private saving around the world?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2309, The World Bank.
- Alan C. Stockman, 1987.
"Sectoral and National Aggregate Disturbances to Industrial Output in Seven European Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
2313, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stockman, Alan C., 1988. "Sectoral and national aggregate disturbances to industrial output in seven European countries," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 387-409.
- Marc Quintyn & David S. Hoelscher, 2003. "Managing Systemic Banking Crises," IMF Occasional Papers 224, International Monetary Fund.
- Gabriel Fagan & Vítor Gaspar, 2007.
"Adjusting to the Euro,"
w200703, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Ralph de Haas & Ilko Naaborg, 2005. "Does Foreign Bank Entry Reduce Small Firms' Access to Credit? Evidence from European Transition Economies," DNB Working Papers 050, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Slawomir Zajaczkowski & Dawid Zochowski, 2007.
"The distribution and dispersion of debt burden ratios among households in Poland and its implications for financial stability,"
IFC Bulletins chapters,
in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Proceedings of the IFC Conference on "Measuring the financial position of the household sector", Basel, 30-31 August 2006 - Volume 2, volume 26, pages 62-74
Bank for International Settlements.
- Dawid, Żochowski & Sławomir, Zajączkowski, 2006. "The Distribution and Dispersion of Debt Burden Ratios Among Households in Poland and its Implications for Financial Stability," MPRA Paper 692, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 19 Oct 2006.
- Rainer Haselmann & Paul Wachtel, 2007.
"Risk Taking by Banks in the Transition Countries,"
Comparative Economic Studies,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 49(3), pages 411-429, September.
- Erwin R. Tiongson & Naotaka Sugawara & Victor Sulla & Ashley Taylor & Anna I. Gueorguieva & Victoria Levin & Kalanidhi Subbarao, 2010.
"The Crisis Hits Home : Stress-Testing Households in Europe and Central Asia,"
World Bank Publications,
The World Bank, number 2396, April.
- Sugawara, Naotaka & Sulla, Victor & Taylor, Ashley & Tiongson, Erwin R., 2010. "The Crisis Hits Home: Stress-Testing Households in Europe and Central Asia," World Bank - Economic Premise, The World Bank, issue 12, pages 1-4, May.
- Naotaka Sugawara & Victor Sulla & Ashley Taylor & Erwin R. Tiongson, 2010. "The Crisis Hits Home : Stress-Testing Households in Europe and Central Asia," World Bank Other Operational Studies 10185, The World Bank.
- Katharina Pistor & Martin Raiser & Stanislaw Gelfer, 2000. "Law and Finance in Transition Economies," CID Working Papers 49, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- repec:bbv:wpaper:0903 is not listed on IDEAS
- World Bank, 2008. "Ukraine - Improving Intergovernmental Fiscal Relations and Public Health and Education Expenditure Policy : Selected Issues," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8006, The World Bank.
- Pradeep Mitra, 2008. "Innovation, Inclusion, and Integration : From Transition to Convergence in Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6475, April.
- World Bank, 2002. "Transition, The First Ten Years : Analysis and Lessons for Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14042, April.
- Katharina Pistor & Martin Raiser & Stanislav Gelfer, 2000. "Law and finance in transition economies," Working Papers 48, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist.
- Mitra, Pradeep & Muravyev, Alexander & Schaffer, Mark E., 2009. "Convergence in institutions and market outcomes: cross-country and time-series evidence from the business environment and enterprise performance surveys in transition economies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4819, The World Bank.
- Djankov, Simeon & McLiesh, Caralee & Shleifer, Andrei, 2007.
"Private credit in 129 countries,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 299-329, May.
- Fabian Valencia & Luc Laeven, 2008. "Systemic Banking Crises; A New Database," IMF Working Papers 08/224, International Monetary Fund.
- Katharina Pistor & Martin Raiser & Stanislaw Gelfer, 2000. "Law and Finance in Transition Economies," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 8(2), pages 325-368, July.
- Uma Ramakrishnan & Juan Zalduendo, 2006. "The Role of IMF Support in Crisis Prevention," IMF Working Papers 06/75, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbpubs:2682. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.