Youth Employment in Sierra Leone : Sustainable Livelihood Opportunities in a Post-conflict Setting
This study focuses on short- and medium-term solutions. It informs the government about the type of programs and policies that could improve the employability of young people, paying special attention to areas in which productivity can be rapidly improved. The report consists of six chapters. Chapter two profiles young people in Sierra Leone. Chapter three examines young people in the labor market, with a focus on the labor supply side of the equation (that is, the skills young people bring to the labor market). Chapter four turns to employers (the demand side of the labor market) to better understand why they do or do not employ young people. Chapter five reviews skill development programs to enhance employability of young people in Sierra Leone and other countries and presents policy options for improving worker skills (supply side) and employer interest (demand side). Chapter six summarizes the lessons from the analysis and concludes with policy and program recommendations.
|This book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 2599 and published in 2009.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: https://openknowledge.worldbank.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juan Díaz & Miguel Jaramillo, 2006.
"An Evaluation of the Peruvian "Youth Labor Training Program"-PROJOVEN,"
OVE Working Papers
1006, Inter-American Development Bank, Office of Evaluation and Oversight (OVE).
- Juan José Díaz & Miguel Jaramillo, 2006. "An Evaluation of the Peruvian "Youth Labor Training Program" - PROJOVEN," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 3000, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Marito Garcia & Jean Fares, 2008. "Youth in Africa's Labor Market," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6578, January.
- Nickell, Stephen & Layard, Richard, 1999. "Labor market institutions and economic performance," Handbook of Labor Economics,in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 46, pages 3029-3084 Elsevier.
- Nickell, S. & Layard, R., 1997. "Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance," Papers 23, Centre for Economic Performance & Institute of Economics.
- Richard Layard & Stephen Nickell, 1998. "Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance," CEP Discussion Papers dp0407, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Víctor Elías & Fernanda Ruiz Núñez & Ricardo Cossa & David Bravo, 2004. "An Econometric Cost-Benefit Analysis of Argentina's Youth Training Program," Research Department Publications 3174, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- David H. Greenberg & Charles Michalopoulos & Philip K. Robins, 2003. "A Meta-Analysis of Government-Sponsored Training Programs," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 57(1), pages 31-53, October.
- Glenda Quintini & Sébastien Martin, 2006. "Starting Well or Losing their Way?: The Position of Youth in the Labour Market in OECD Countries," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 39, OECD Publishing.
- Hugo Ñopo & Miguel Robles & Jaime Saavedra, 2002. "Una medición del impacto del Programa de Capacitación Laboral Juvenil PROJoven," Documentos de Investigación dt36, Grupo de Análisis para el Desarrollo (GRADE).
- Jeremy Weinstein & Macartan Humphreys, 2005. "Disentangling the Determinants of Successful Demobilization and Reintegration," Working Papers 69, Center for Global Development.
- Kolev, Alexandre, 2003. "Joblessness and precarious work in Bulgaria : addressing the multiple aspects of vulnerability in the labour market," Social Protection and Labor Policy and Technical Notes 25982, The World Bank.
- Dar, Amit & Tzannatos, Zafiris, 1999. "Active labor market programs: a review of the evidence from evaluations," Social Protection and Labor Policy and Technical Notes 20116, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2006. "World Development Indicators 2006," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 8151, January.
- Betcherman, Gordon & Godfrey, Martin & Puerto, Susana & Rother, Friederike & Stavreska, Antoneta, 2007. "A review of interventions to support young workers : findings of the youth employment inventory," Social Protection and Labor Policy and Technical Notes 41412, The World Bank.
- Betcherman, Gordon*Dar, Amit*Luinstra, Amy*Ogawa, 2000. "Active labor market programs : policy issues for East Asia," Social Protection and Labor Policy and Technical Notes 21313, The World Bank.
- Betcherman, Gordon*Dar, Amit*Luinstra, Amy*Ogawa, 2000. "Active labor market programs : policy issues for East Asia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 21313, The World Bank.
- Martin, John P. & Grubb, David, 2001. "What works and for whom: a review of OECD countries' experiences with active labour market policies," Working Paper Series 2001:14, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Ian Bannon & Maria C. Correia, 2006. "The Other Half of Gender : Men's Issues in Development," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7029, January.
- John T. Addison & Paulino Teixeira, 2003. "The Economics of Employment Protection," Journal of Labor Research, Transaction Publishers, vol. 24(1), pages 85-129, January.
- Juan José Díaz & Miguel Jaramillo, 2006. "An Evaluation of the Peruvian "Youth Labor Training Program" - PROJOVEN," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 25698, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Betcherman, Gordon & Olivas, Karina & Dar, Amit, 2004. "Impacts of active labor market programs : new evidence from evaluations with particular attention to developing and transition countries," Social Protection and Labor Policy and Technical Notes 29142, The World Bank.
- Robert S. Gay & Michael E. Borus, 1980. "Validating Performance Indicators for Employment and Training Programs," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 15(1), pages 29-48.
- Paul Ryan, 2001. "The School-to-Work Transition: A Cross-National Perspective," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(1), pages 34-92, March.
- Richard K. Johanson & Arvil V. Adams, 2004. "Skills Development in Sub-Saharan Africa," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15028.
- Wendy Cunningham, 2007. "Minimum Wages and Social Policy : Lessons from Developing Countries," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6760, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbpubs:2599. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.