On corporate structure, strategy, and performance: a study with directed acyclic graphs and PC algorithm
This paper reconsiders empirical evidence on relationships among variables related to corporate strategy, structure, and performance. Causal relationships among variables are modeled as directed acyclic graphs using PC-algorithm. Return on Assets appears to be determined by Advertising Intensity, Unrelated Diversification, R&D Intensity, and Organizational Ownership Hierarchy. Debt Structure and Investor Characteristics do not cause (either directly or indirectly) return on assets. These latter two variables appear to be effects of return on assets, not causes. Results offer mixed support of the theory that structure causes strategy, which in turn causes performance. Copyright © 2009 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 31 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/7976|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bryant, Henry L. & Bessler, David A. & Haigh, Michael S., 2006.
"Disproving Causal Relationships Using Observational Data,"
2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA
21166, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Henry L. Bryant & David A. Bessler & Michael S. Haigh, 2009. "Disproving Causal Relationships Using Observational Data," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 71(3), pages 357-374, 06.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1986.
"Large Shareholders and Corporate Control,"
3606237, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Shepherd, William G, 1972. "The Elements of Market Structure," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(1), pages 25-37, February.
- Selva Demiralp & Kevin D. Hoover & Stephen J. Perez, 2008.
"A Bootstrap Method for Identifying and Evaluating a Structural Vector Autoregression,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 70(4), pages 509-533, 08.
- Kevin Hoover & Selva Demiralp & Stephen J. Perez, 2006. "A Bootstrap Method for Identifying and Evaluating a Structural Vector Autoregression," Working Papers 614, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Jacquemin, Alexis P & Berry, Charles H, 1979. "Entropy Measure of Diversification and Corporate Growth," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(4), pages 359-69, June.
- McConnell, John J. & Servaes, Henri, 1990. "Additional evidence on equity ownership and corporate value," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 595-612, October.
- Selva Demiralp & Kevin D. Hoover, 2003.
"Searching for the Causal Structure of a Vector Autoregression,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(s1), pages 745-767, December.
- Kevin Hoover & Selva Demiralp, 2003. "Searching for the Causal Structure of a Vector Autoregression," Working Papers 33, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Porter, Michael E, 1979. "The Structure within Industries and Companies' Performance," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 61(2), pages 214-27, May.
- Jian Yang & Hui Guo & Zijun Wang, 2004.
"International transmission of inflation among G-7 countries: a data-determined VAR analysis,"
2004-028, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Yang, Jian & Guo, Hui & Wang, Zijun, 2006. "International transmission of inflation among G-7 countries: A data-determined VAR analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(10), pages 2681-2700, October.
- Steffen L. Lauritzen & Thomas S. Richardson, 2002. "Chain graph models and their causal interpretations," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 64(3), pages 321-348.
- Henry Ogden Armour & David J. Teece, 1978. "Organizational Structure and Economic Performance: A Test of the Multidivisional Hypothesis," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 9(1), pages 106-122, Spring.
- N Dryden & Stephen Nickell & D Nicolitsas, 1996.
"What Makes Firms Perform Well?,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0308, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Bessler, David A. & Yang, Jian, 2003. "The structure of interdependence in international stock markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 261-287, April.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1979. "Transaction-Cost Economics: The Governance of Contractural Relations," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(2), pages 233-61, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:mgtdec:v:31:y:2010:i:1:p:47-62. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.