The determinants of school attainment in sub-Saharan Africa: A case study of Ghana
This paper investigates the factors that determine educational attainment in Ghana. The following specific questions are addressed: 1) What are the relative impacts of economic growth and improvements in school quality on educational attainment? and 2) What policy variables are most effective for reducing the gender gap in educational attainment? We find that economic growth will play the most significant role in raising the school attainment in Ghana in future years. Continued economic growth should also reduce the gender gap substantially. In addition to economic growth, provision of blackboards and repairing of leaking roofs will significantly raise school attainment.
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 8 (1996)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rivers, Douglas & Vuong, Quang H., 1988. "Limited information estimators and exogeneity tests for simultaneous probit models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 347-366, November.
- Paul Glewwe & Hanan Jacoby, 1994. "Student Achievement and Schooling Choice in Low-Income Countries: Evidence from Ghana," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 29(3), pages 843-864.
- Glewwe, Paul, 1996. "The relevance of standard estimates of rates of return to schooling for education policy: A critical assessment," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 267-290, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:8:y:1996:i:3:p:395-413. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.