A defining moment? China's social policy response to the financial crisis
This paper discusses whether China's response to the 2008-2009 financial crisis is a 'defining moment', whether it is leading to a departure of China's export-driven development model and whether the large stimulus package is strengthening its social policies and leading towards a more egalitarian structure. Two years after the crisis, it seems China has been very successful in managing the crisis, reaffirming political legitimacy, monitoring potential social unrest and introducing a wide range of promotive measures, even though this did not imply the sudden shift to promotion of household consumption some observers were arguing for. Copyright © 2010 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 22 (2010)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Felix Salditt & Peter Whiteford & Willem Adema, 2007. "Pension Reform in China: Progress and Prospects," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 53, OECD Publishing.
- Kaplinsky, Raphael & Messner, Dirk, 2008. "Introduction: The Impact of Asian Drivers on the Developing World," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 197-209, February.
- Prasad, Eswar, 2007.
"Is the Chinese Growth Miracle Built to Last?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2995, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Naude, Wim, 2009. "The Financial Crisis of 2008 and the Developing Countries," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Filippov, Sergey & Kalotay, Kalman, 2009. "Foreign Direct Investment in Times of Global Economic Crisis: Spotlight on New Europe," MERIT Working Papers 021, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Fang Cai & Dewen Wang & Huachu Zhang, 2010. "Employment Effectiveness of China's Economic Stimulus Package," China & World Economy, Institute of World Economics and Politics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 18(1), pages 33-46.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:22:y:2010:i:6:p:758-771. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.