Flow of funds: implications for research on financial sector development and the real economy
This paper provides a selective survey of the leading theoretical and empirical issues surrounding the flow of funds: its meaning and origin, problems of construction, its use in financial modelling and its role as a tool of analysis of intersectoral financial flows. It is argued that there is an intimate connection between the flow of funds, interest rates and asset prices, and hence incomes and expenditures in an economy. The paper discusses flow of funds analysis in the context of developing countries, concentrating on possible applications and methodologies, and the issue of data collection and organization. We explore the reasons for lack of success at empirical flow of funds modelling and propose 'promising research ideas' (PRIs) to apply flow of funds analysis to study the relationship between financial sector development and the real economy, particularly to identify effective financial sector policies in developing countries. Copyright © 2003 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 15 (2003)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary Smith, 1981. "The Systematic Specification of a Full Prior Covariance Matrix for Asset Demand Equations," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 96(2), pages 317-339.
- J. Copestake & S. Bhalotra & S. Johnson, 2001. "Assessing the Impact of Microcredit: A Zambian Case Study," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(4), pages 81-100.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel and William T. Dickens., 1983.
"Are Asset-Demand Functions Determined by CAPM?,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
140, University of California at Berkeley.
- Tobin, James, 1969. "A General Equilibrium Approach to Monetary Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 15-29, February.
- Van Wijnbergen, S., 1983. "Interest rate management in LDC's," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 433-452, September.
- Cashin, Paul & McDermott, C John, 1998.
"Testing the Consumption-CAPM in Developing Equity Markets,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 3(2), pages 127-141, April.
- Cashin, P. & McDermott, C. J., 1997. "Testing the Consumption-Capm in Developing Equity Markets," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 593, The University of Melbourne.
- Hendry, David F. & Pagan, Adrian R. & Sargan, J.Denis, 1984. "Dynamic specification," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 18, pages 1023-1100 Elsevier.
- Courakis, Anthony S, 1988. "Modelling Portfolio Selection," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(392), pages 619-642, September.
- Backus, David & Purvis, Douglas, 1980.
"An Integrated Model of Household Flow-of-Funds Allocations,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 12(2), pages 400-421, Special I.
- David Backus & Douglas D. Purvis, 1978. "An Integrated Model of Household Flow-of-Funds Allocations," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 493, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- P. Mosley, 2001. "Microfinance and Poverty in Bolivia," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(4), pages 101-132.
- Friedman, Benjamin M, 1980. "How Important Is Disaggregation in Structural Models of Interest Rate Determination?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(2), pages 271-276, May.
- Martin Feldstein & Charles Horioka, 1979.
"Domestic Savings and International Capital Flows,"
NBER Working Papers
0310, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tobin, James, 1981.
"Money and Finance in the Macro-Economic Process,"
Nobel Prize in Economics documents
1981-1, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Aivazian, Varouj A. & Callen, Jeffrey L. & Krinsky, Itzhak & Kwan, Clarence C. Y., 1990. "Risk versus return in the substitutability of debt and equity securities," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 161-178, August.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1985. "Portfolio Crowding-Out, Empirically Estimated," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 100(Supplemen), pages 1041-1065.
- Anke Hoeffler & Catherine A Pattillo & Paul Collier, 1999.
"Flight Capital as a Portfolio Choice,"
IMF Working Papers
- Buffie, Edward F, 1991. "Credit Rationing and Capital Accumulation," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 58(231), pages 299-316, August.
- Sen, K. & Roy, T. & Krishnan, R. & Mundlay, A., 1993.
"A Flow of Funds Model for India and Its Implications,"
85, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research-.
- Sen, Kunal & Roy, Tirthankar & Krishnan, R. & Mundlay, Arundhati, 1996. "A flow of funds model for India and its implications," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 469-494, October.
- Jonathan Morduch, 1999. "The Microfinance Promise," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1569-1614, December.
- Smith, Gary, 1975. "Pitfalls in Financial Model Building: A Clarification," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(3), pages 510-516, June.
- Friedman, Benjamin Morton, 1977. "Financial Flow Variables and the Short-Run Determination of Long-Term Interest Rates," Scholarly Articles 4554309, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Barker, Terry & van der Ploeg, Frederick & Weale, Martin, 1984. "A Balanced System of National Accounts for the United Kingdom," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 30(4), pages 461-485, December.
- Honohan, Patrick & Atiyas, Izak, 1989.
"Intersectoral financial flows in developing countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
164, The World Bank.
- Honohan, Patrick & Atiyas, Izak, 1993. "Intersectoral Financial Flows in Developing Countries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(418), pages 666-679, May.
- Friedman, Benjamin M, 1979. "Substitution and Expectation Effects on Long-Term Borrowing Behavior and Long-Term Interest Rates," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 11(2), pages 131-150, May.
- Green, Christopher J & Kiernan, Eric, 1989. "Multicollinearity and Measurement Error in Econometric Financial Modelling," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 57(4), pages 357-369, December.
- Smith, Gary N & Brainard, William C, 1982. " A Disequilibrium Model of Savings and Loan Associations," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(5), pages 1277-1293, December.
- Friedman, Benjamin M, 1977. "Financial Flow Variables and the Short-Run Determination of Long-Term Interest Rates," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(4), pages 661-689, August.
- Richard Stone & D. G. Champernowne & J. E. Meade, 1942. "The Precision of National Income Estimates," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(2), pages 111-125.
- Barr, D G & Cuthbertson, Keith, 1991. "Neoclassical Consumer Demand Theory and the Demand for Money," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(407), pages 855-876, July.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1988. "A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 116-131, February.
- Sharpe, Ian G, 1973. "A Qtrly Econometric Model of Portfolio Choice-Part I: Specification and Estimation Problems," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 49(128), pages 518-533, December.
- Purvis, Douglas D, 1978. "Dynamic Models of Portfolio Behavior: More on Pitfalls in Financial Model Building," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(3), pages 403-409, June.
- Smith, Gary, 1978. "Dynamic Models of Portfolio Behavior: Comment on Purvis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(3), pages 410-416, June.
- Merton, Robert C, 1973. "An Intertemporal Capital Asset Pricing Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(5), pages 867-887, September.
- Green, Christopher J, 1990. "Asset Demands and Asset Prices in the U.K.: Is There a Risk Premium," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 58(3), pages 211-228, September.
- Breeden, Douglas T., 1979. "An intertemporal asset pricing model with stochastic consumption and investment opportunities," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 265-296, September.
- Paul Mosley, 1999. "Micro-macro linkages in financial markets: the impact of financial liberalization on access to rural credit in four African countries," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(3), pages 367-384.
- Benjamin M. Friedman, 1978. "How Important is Disaggregation in Structural Models of Interest Rate Determination?," NBER Working Papers 0294, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roley, V Vance, 1983. "Symmetry Restrictions in a System of Financial Asset Demands: Theoretical and Empirical Results," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(1), pages 124-130, February.
- James Tobin, 1963. "Commercial Banks as Creators of 'Money'," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 159, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Buiter, Willem H, 1980. "Walras' Law and All That: Budget Constraints and Balance Sheet Constraints in Period Models and Continuous Time Models," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(1), pages 1-16, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:15:y:2003:i:8:p:1015-1036. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.