Fooling the eye of the beholder: deceptive status signalling among the poor in developing countries
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Higgins, Richard S & Rubin, Paul H, 1986. "Counterfeit Goods," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(2), pages 211-230, October.
- Congleton, Roger D., 1989. "Efficient status seeking: Externalities, and the evolution of status games," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 175-190, March.
- Cooper, Ben & Garcia-Penalosa, Cecilia & Funk, Peter, 2001. "Status Effects and Negative Utility Growth," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(473), pages 642-665, July.
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132-132.
- Wells, John, 1977. "The Diffusion of Durables in Brazil and Its Implications for Recent Controversies Concerning Brazilian Development," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 1(3), pages 259-279, September.
- James, Jeffrey, 1987. "Positional goods, conspicuous consumption and the international demonstration effect reconsidered," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 449-462, April.
- Gene M. Grossman & Carl Shapiro, 1986. "Foreign Counterfeiting of Status Goods," NBER Working Papers 1915, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. Solnick, Sara & Hemenway, David, 1998. "Is more always better?: A survey on positional concerns," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 373-383, November.
- Bagwell, Laurie Simon & Bernheim, B Douglas, 1996.
"Veblen Effects in a Theory of Conspicuous Consumption,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, pages 349-373.
- Oded Galor & David N. Weil, 1993. "The Gender Gap, Fertility, and Growth," NBER Working Papers 4550, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Oded Galor & David Weil, 1995. "The Gender Gap, Fertility and Growth," Working Papers 1993-12, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Galor, Oded & Weil, David, 1995. "The Gender Gap, Fertility and Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 1157, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- James, M.J., 2000. "Do consumers in developing countries gain or lose from globalization?," Other publications TiSEM e7f8ff07-cc97-4431-a52c-e, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Gene M. Grossman & Carl Shapiro, 1988. "Foreign Counterfeiting of Status Goods," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 103(1), pages 79-100.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Celse, Jérémy, 2012. "Is the positional bias an artefact? Distinguishing positional concerns from egalitarian concerns," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 277-283.
- Yoo, Boonghee & Lee, Seung-Hee, 2012. "Asymmetrical effects of past experiences with genuine fashion luxury brands and their counterfeits on purchase intention of each," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(10), pages 1507-1515.
- El Harbi, Sana & Bekir, Insaf & Grolleau, Gilles & Sutan, Angela, 2015.
"Efficiency, equality, positionality: What do people maximize? Experimental vs. hypothetical evidence from Tunisia,"
Journal of Economic Psychology,
Elsevier, pages 77-84.
- Sana El Harbi & Insaf Bekir & Gilles Grolleau & Angela Sutan, 2015. "Efficiency, equality, positionality: what do people maximize? Experimental vs. hypothetical evidence from Tunisia," Post-Print hal-01506386, HAL.
- Hopkins, Ed & Kornienko, Tatiana, 2006.
"Inequality and growth in the presence of competition for status,"
Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 291-296, November.
- Ed Hopkins & Tatiana Kornienko, 2005. "Inequality and Growth in the Presence of Competition for Status," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000000554, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Rik Linssen & Luuk Kempen & Gerbert Kraaykamp, 2011. "Subjective Well-being in Rural India: The Curse of Conspicuous Consumption," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, pages 57-72.
- Saad, Gad & Vongas, John G., 2009. "The effect of conspicuous consumption on men's testosterone levels," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 80-92, November.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:15:y:2003:i:2:p:157-177. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum). General contact details of provider: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home .