Concentration change in selected food manufacturing industries: The influence of mergers vs. internal growth
Concentration of sales among the leading manufacturers changed sharply in some relatively undifferentiated food processing industries in the 1980s. In six industries examined, CR 4 increased 23 points, on average, from 1977 to 1988. Mergers accounted for virtually all of the concentration increase in three, and roughly half of the increase in the other three. Overall, internal growth accounted for about one-third of the increase in concentration in the six industries. The relaxation of antitrust enforcement during the 1980s likely encouraged several large horizontal mergers that significantly increased concentration in these industries. At least seven mergers appear to have violated the Dept. of Justice Merger Guidelines of 1984.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 7 (1991)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barbara J. Spencer & James A. Brander, 1983.
"International R&D Rivalry and Industrial Strategy,"
NBER Working Papers
1192, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barbara J. Spencer & James A. Brander, 1983. "International R & D Rivalry and Industrial Strategy," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(4), pages 707-722.
- Paul Krugman, 1986.
"Industrial Organization and International Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
1957, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:7:y:1991:i:5:p:415-431. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.