Intangible effort and performance: the case of the French wine industry
This study investigates to what extent intangible investments have a positive impact on French wine companies' financial performance. French wine companies are small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), so the task is (a) to measure their intangible expenses and capital, and (b) to estimate their impact on companies' performances. The authors then analyze the effect of property structures (cooperatives and corporations) and business activities on the intensity of the relationship between intangibility and performance. Relationships between intangibles and performance were tested empirically by means of a questionnaire carried out in 2005-2006. Questionnaire data were completed using financial statements for 207 companies whose activity included one or more stages in the production and marketing of wine. Using MANOVA and the production function approach, the authors found evidence that intangible proxies had a negative impact on the firms' economic performance measurements and a positive impact on commercial performance for intermediate values of intangible ratios. They also found that production functions were very different with regard to legal status and business activity, but that the negative impact of intangible proxies remained. © 2010 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume (Year): 26 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Adam Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg, 2002.
"Market Value and Patent Citations: A First Look,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Bronwyn H. Hall, Adam Jaffe and Manuel Trajtenberg., 2000. "Market Value and Patent Citations: A First Look," Economics Working Papers E00-277, University of California at Berkeley.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Jaffe, Adam & Trajtenberg, Manuel, 2001. "Market Value and Patent Citations: A First Look," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt8vh1c20f, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Adam B. Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg, 2000. "Market Value and Patent Citations: A First Look," NBER Working Papers 7741, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Jaffee, Adam & Trajtenberg, Manuel, 2000. "Market Value and Patent Citations: A First Look," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt1rh8k6z2, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Bronwyn H. Hall and Adam Jaffe, and Manuel Trajtenberg., 2001. "Market Value and Patent Citations: A First Look," Economics Working Papers E01-304, University of California at Berkeley.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Adam Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg, 2001. "Market Value and Patent Citations: A First Look," Development and Comp Systems 0012002, EconWPA.
- M. Ishaq Nadiri & Ingmar R. Prucha, 1993.
"Estimation of the Depreciation Rate of Physical and R&D Capital in the U.S. Total Manufacturing Sector,"
NBER Working Papers
4591, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nadiri, M Ishaq & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1996. "Estimation of the Depreciation Rate of Physical and R&D Capital in the U.S. Total Manufacturing Sector," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 34(1), pages 43-56, January.
- Nadiri, M.I. & Prucha, I.R., 1993. "Estimation of the Depreciation Rate of Physical and R&D Capital in the U.S. Total Manufacturing Sector," Working Papers 93-47, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Gleason, Katherine I. & Klock, Mark, 2006. "Intangible capital in the pharmaceutical and chemical industry," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 300-314, May.
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and Sustainability of Competitive Advantage," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1504-1511, December.
- Susan Athey & Scott Stern, 1998. "An Empirical Framework for Testing Theories About Complimentarity in Organizational Design," NBER Working Papers 6600, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Griliches, Zvi, 1981.
"Market value, R&D, and patents,"
Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 183-187.
- Mueller, Dennis C & Supina, Dylan, 2002. "Goodwill Capital," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 19(3), pages 233-253, November.
- Robert E. Hall, 1999.
"The Stock Market and Capital Accumulation,"
NBER Working Papers
7180, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Villalonga, Belen, 2004. "Intangible resources, Tobin's q, and sustainability of performance differences," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 205-230, June.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/2538 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hirschey, Mark, 1982. "Intangible Capital Aspects of Advertising and R&D Expenditures," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(4), pages 375-390, June.
- Khosrow Doroodian & Barry J. Seldon, 1991. "Advertising and Cigarette Consumption," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 17(3), pages 359-366, Jul-Sep.
- S.A. Lippman & R.P. Rumelt, 1982. "Uncertain Imitability: An Analysis of Interfirm Differences in Efficiency under Competition," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 13(2), pages 418-438, Autumn.
- Megna, Pamela & Mueller, Dennis C, 1991. "Profit Rates and Intangible Capital," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(4), pages 632-642, November.
- Jean-François Casta & Olivier Ramond & Lionel Escaffre, 2006. "Intangible Investments and Accounting Numbers : Usefulness, Informativeness and Relevance on the European Stock Markets," Post-Print halshs-00170959, HAL.
- Haugland, Sven A. & Myrtveit, Ingunn & Nygaard, Arne, 2007. "Market orientation and performance in the service industry: A data envelopment analysis," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(11), pages 1191-1197, November.
- Jacques Mairesse & Bronwyn H. Hall, 1996. "Estimating the Productivity of Research and Development: An Exploration of GMM Methods Using Data on French & United States Manufacturing Firms," NBER Working Papers 5501, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Athanasia Mavrommati & Athanasios Papadopoulos, 2005. "Measuring advertising intensity and intangible capital in the Greek food industry," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(15), pages 1777-1787.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:26:y:2010:i:2:p:280-306. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.