Greek wine firms: determinants of export performance
Although extensive research on the importance of the determinant factors of export performance exists, only a few studies on the wine sector have been conducted. The present study examines the export performance determinants of Greek wine firms. Primary data were collected from Greek wine exporters through a mail survey. A combination of exploratory, confirmatory, and path analyses were employed. Factors that were either similar or dissimilar to existing knowledge appear to be important for success in the wine sector. The main success dimensions, in ascending order of importance, include (a) aspects of export competitive advantage (e.g., firm export competence, export channel knowledge, product adaptation, competitive price, and distributor support), (b) environmental factors (e.g., hostility and price competition), and channel relationship antecedents (e.g., information exchange and cooperation). Implications of the findings are discussed. [EconLit citations: Q100, Q130]. © 2008 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume (Year): 24 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robertson, Christopher & Chetty, Sylvie K., 2000. "A contingency-based approach to understanding export performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 211-235, April.
- Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 1984. "Differences among exporting firms based on their degree of internationalization," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 195-208, June.
- Baldauf, Artur & Cravens, David W. & Wagner, Udo, 2000. "Examining determinants of export performance in small open economies," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 61-79, April.
- S Tamer Cavusgil & Shaoming Zou & G M Naidu, 1993. "Product and Promoting Adaptation in Export Ventures: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 24(3), pages 479-506, September.
- Preet S Aulakh & Masaaki Kotabe, 1997. "Antecedents and Performance Implications of Channel Integration in Foreign Markets," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 28(1), pages 145-175, March.
- Piercy, Nigel F & Kaleka, Anna & Katsikeas, Constantine S, 1998. "Sources of competitive advantage in high performing exporting companies," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 378-393, January.
- Ling-yee, Li & Ogunmokun, Gabriel O., 2001. "The influence of interfirm relational capabilities on export advantage and performance: an empirical analysis," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 399-420, August.
- Rose, Gregory M. & Shoham, Aviv, 2002. "Export performance and market orientation: establishing an empirical link," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 217-225, March.
- Piercy, Nigel F. & Katsikeas, Constantine S. & Cravens, David W., 1997. "Examining the role of buyer-seller relationships in export performance," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 73-86, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:24:y:2008:i:2:p:275-297. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.