Performance in vegetable supply chains: the role of Guanxi networks and buyer-seller relationships
Guanxi is the lifeblood of the Chinese society. It also becomes a hot topic for achieving business success in China. The primary goal of this exploratory study is to empirically investigate the effect of guanxi networks on buyer-seller relationships and market performance for the Chinese vegetable sector. We interviewed 167 vegetable farmers (i.e., sellers) and 84 vegetable processing and exporting companies (i.e., buyers) in Jiangsu Province, P.R. China. The path analysis results reveal that guanxi networks in China directly and indirectly affect buyer-seller relationships and market performance; however, guanxi networks have different effects for vegetable sellers and buyers. Results demonstrate that vegetable sellers and buyers follow different approaches to achieve superior market performance. [EconLit citations: L100, Q130]. © 2008 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume (Year): 24 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nooteboom, B. & Berger, H. & Noorderhaven, N.G., 1997. "Effects of trust and governance on relational risk," Other publications TiSEM 8e83932e-064c-40e8-afe7-4, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Erin Anderson & Barton Weitz, 1989. "Determinants of Continuity in Conventional Industrial Channel Dyads," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 8(4), pages 310-323.
- Fredoun Z. Ahmadi-Esfahani & Roland G. Stanmore, 1997. "Demand for vegetables in a Chinese wholesale market," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(5), pages 549-559.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1979. "Transaction-Cost Economics: The Governance of Contractural Relations," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(2), pages 233-61, October.
- Dinghuan Hu & Thomas Reardon & Scott Rozelle & Peter Timmer & Honglin Wang, 2004. "The Emergence of Supermarkets with Chinese Characteristics: Challenges and Opportunities for China's Agricultural Development," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 22, pages 557-586, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:24:y:2008:i:2:p:253-274. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.