Do U.S. marketing orders have much market power? An examination of the Almond Board of California
This review tests the conventional wisdom that U.S. marketing orders act as profit-maximizing cartels. It analyzes the marketing order for U.S. almonds in both the domestic and export markets. Such a case study is relevant to all U.S. marketing orders because the size and scope of the U.S. almond industry and the authority granted to a board of producers by the almond marketing order would seem to be conducive to profit-maximizing cartel behavior. Nevertheless, the authors find that the market power exerted by the Almond Board of California is significantly less than would be expected from a profit-maximizing cartel. [EconLit citations: L120, L430]. © 2004 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Agribusiness 20: 1-15, 2004.
Volume (Year): 20 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berck, Peter & Perloff, Jeffrey M, 1984. "A Dynamic Analysis of Marketing Orders, Voting , and Welfare," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt3d09786w, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Bushnell, Peter G. & King, Gordon A., 1986. "The Domestic and Export Markets for California Almonds," Research Reports 11924, University of California, Davis, Giannini Foundation.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1982. "The oligopoly solution concept is identified," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 87-92.
- Kwoka, John E, Jr, 1977. "Pricing under Federal Milk Market Regulation," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 15(3), pages 367-84, July.
- Goldberg, Pinelopi Koujianou & Knetter, Michael M., 1999.
"Measuring the intensity of competition in export markets,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 27-60, February.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1995. "Measuring the Intensity of Competition in Export Markets," NBER Working Papers 5226, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kinnucan, Henry W. & Christian, Jason E., 1997. "A Method For Measuring Returns To Nonprice Export Promotion With Application To Almonds," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(01), July.
- Darren Filson & Edward Keen & Eric Fruits & Thomas E. Borcherding, .
"Market Power and Cartel Formation: Theory and an Empirical Test,"
Claremont Colleges Working Papers
2000-31, Claremont Colleges.
- Filson, Darren, et al, 2001. "Market Power and Cartel Formation: Theory and an Empirical Test," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(2), pages 465-80, October.
- George J. Stigler, 1974. "Free Riders and Collective Action: An Appendix to Theories of Economic Regulation," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 5(2), pages 359-365, Autumn.
- repec:cdl:agrebk:623332 is not listed on IDEAS
- Shepard, Lawrence, 1986. "Cartelization of the California-Arizona Orange Industry, 1934-1981," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(1), pages 83-123, April.
- Alston, Julian M. & Carman, Hoy F. & Christian, Jason E. & Dorfman, Jeffrey H. & Murua, Juan-Ramon & Sexton, Richard J., 1997. "Optimal Reserve and Export Policies for the California Almond Industry : Theory, Econometrics, and Simulations," Monographs, University of California, Davis, Giannini Foundation, number 11937.
- Lee, Hyunok & Alston, Julian M. & Carman, Hoy F. & Sutton, William R., 1996. "Mandated Marketing Programs For California Commodities," Information Series 11919, University of California, Davis, Giannini Foundation.
- Lau, Lawrence J., 1982. "On identifying the degree of competitiveness from industry price and output data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 93-99.
- Aw, Bee Yan, 1992. "An empirical model of mark-ups in a quality-differentiated export market," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3-4), pages 327-344, November.
- Ippolito, Richard A & Masson, Robert T, 1978. "The Social Cost of Government Regulation of Milk," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(1), pages 33-65, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:20:y:2004:i:1:p:1-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.