Do U.S. marketing orders have much market power? An examination of the Almond Board of California
This review tests the conventional wisdom that U.S. marketing orders act as profit-maximizing cartels. It analyzes the marketing order for U.S. almonds in both the domestic and export markets. Such a case study is relevant to all U.S. marketing orders because the size and scope of the U.S. almond industry and the authority granted to a board of producers by the almond marketing order would seem to be conducive to profit-maximizing cartel behavior. Nevertheless, the authors find that the market power exerted by the Almond Board of California is significantly less than would be expected from a profit-maximizing cartel. [EconLit citations: L120, L430]. © 2004 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Agribusiness 20: 1-15, 2004.
Volume (Year): 20 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cdl:agrebk:623332 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kinnucan, Henry W. & Christian, Jason E., 1997. "A Method For Measuring Returns To Nonprice Export Promotion With Application To Almonds," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(01), July.
- Alston, Julian M. & Carman, Hoy F. & Christian, Jason E. & Dorfman, Jeffrey H. & Murua, Juan-Ramon & Sexton, Richard J., 1997. "Optimal Reserve and Export Policies for the California Almond Industry : Theory, Econometrics, and Simulations," Monographs, University of California, Davis, Giannini Foundation, number 11937.
- Goldberg, Pinelopi Koujianou & Knetter, Michael M., 1999.
"Measuring the intensity of competition in export markets,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 27-60, February.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1995. "Measuring the Intensity of Competition in Export Markets," NBER Working Papers 5226, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kwoka, John E, Jr, 1977. "Pricing under Federal Milk Market Regulation," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 15(3), pages 367-84, July.
- Lau, Lawrence J., 1982. "On identifying the degree of competitiveness from industry price and output data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 93-99.
- Aw, Bee Yan, 1992. "An empirical model of mark-ups in a quality-differentiated export market," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3-4), pages 327-344, November.
- Lee, Hyunok & Alston, Julian M. & Carman, Hoy F. & Sutton, William R., 1996. "Mandated Marketing Programs For California Commodities," Information Series 11919, University of California, Davis, Giannini Foundation.
- Berck, Peter & Perloff, Jeffrey M, 1984. "A Dynamic Analysis of Marketing Orders, Voting , and Welfare," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt3d09786w, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Ippolito, Richard A & Masson, Robert T, 1978. "The Social Cost of Government Regulation of Milk," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(1), pages 33-65, April.
- Bushnell, Peter G. & King, Gordon A., 1986. "The Domestic and Export Markets for California Almonds," Research Reports 11924, University of California, Davis, Giannini Foundation.
- Darren Filson & Edward Keen & Eric Fruits & Thomas E. Borcherding, .
"Market Power and Cartel Formation: Theory and an Empirical Test,"
Claremont Colleges Working Papers
2000-31, Claremont Colleges.
- Filson, Darren, et al, 2001. "Market Power and Cartel Formation: Theory and an Empirical Test," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(2), pages 465-80, October.
- Shepard, Lawrence, 1986. "Cartelization of the California-Arizona Orange Industry, 1934-1981," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(1), pages 83-123, April.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1982. "The oligopoly solution concept is identified," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 87-92.
- George J. Stigler, 1974. "Free Riders and Collective Action: An Appendix to Theories of Economic Regulation," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 5(2), pages 359-365, Autumn.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:20:y:2004:i:1:p:1-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.