Determinants of foreign direct investment in the food industry: The case of Poland
In this article, a statistical model is developed to analyze determinants of foreign direct investment (FDI) in the Polish food industry. Data on FDI inflows from three investor home country clusters is related to characteristics of 12 food industry branches. The results indicate that firm size, privatization speed, value-added, and import share are important determinants of food industry FDI. The findings confirm the importance of a swift reduction of state control over agro-industrial enterprises, while pointing to the need for effective competition policies in transition countries to contain potentially emerging market power of foreign multinationals in oligopolistic food industry branches. [Econ-Lit citations: F23 (multinational firms); P33 (international linkages in transition); Q13 (agribusiness)] © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Volume (Year): 17 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Munisamy Gopinath & Daniel Pick & Utpal Vasavada, 1999.
"The Economics of Foreign Direct Investment and Trade with an Application to the U.S. Food Processing Industry,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(2), pages 442-452.
- Gopinath, Munisamy & Pick, Daniel H. & Vasavada, Utpal, 1998. "The Economics Of Foreign Direct Investment And Trade With An Application To The U.S. Food Processing Industry," Working Papers 51205, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Singh, Harinder & Kwang W. Jun, 1995. "Some new evidence on determinants of foreign direct investment in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1531, The World Bank.
- Barrell, Ray & Pain, Nigel, 1996. "An Econometric Analysis of U.S. Foreign Direct Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(2), pages 200-207, May.
- Klaus E Meyer, 1995. "Direct Foreign Investment in Eastern Europe the Role of Labor Costs," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Association for Comparative Economic Studies, vol. 37(4), pages 69-88, December.
- J. C. Burnham & J. E. Epperson, 1998. "A profile of foreign direct investment by the US fruit and vegetable industry," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(5), pages 379-388. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)