Factors Affecting International Mergers and Acquisitions
The purpose of this paper is to investigate the factors that explain outward and inward merger and acquisition (M/A) activity for a country. The variables used to explain M/A activity include the exchange rate, interest rate, and stock market prices. Regression analysis is used to isolate and clarify the effects of these three factors for aggregate M/A activity and M/A activity within the food, beverage, and tobacco industry. The analysis shows that three variables, the exchange rate, interest rate, and stock prices, are quite important in explaining variations in M/A activity by country. Exchange rate changes in particular have a very elastic impact on outward M/A activity, indicating that price effects are important in determining outward investment flows. The stock market index positively influenced inward and outward M/A activity. The interest rate had a negative impact on M/A in the inward and outward M/A models with M/A outflows decreasing by about the same percentage that interest rates increase.
Volume (Year): 06 (2003)
Issue (Month): 04 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 1 (202) 429-1610
Web page: http://www.ifama.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Munisamy Gopinath & Daniel Pick & Utpal Vasavada, 1999.
"The Economics of Foreign Direct Investment and Trade with an Application to the U.S. Food Processing Industry,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(2), pages 442-452.
- Gopinath, Munisamy & Pick, Daniel H. & Vasavada, Utpal, 1998. "The Economics Of Foreign Direct Investment And Trade With An Application To The U.S. Food Processing Industry," Working Papers 51205, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Daniel Pick & Utpal Vasavada, 1998. "Exchange Rate Effects on the Relationship between FDI and Trade in the U.S. Food Processing Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1073-1079.
- Vasconcellos, Geraldo M. & Kish, Richard J., 1996. "Factors affecting cross-border mergers and acquisitions: The Canada-U.S. experience," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 223-238.
- Barrell, Ray & Pain, Nigel, 1996. "An Econometric Analysis of U.S. Foreign Direct Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(2), pages 200-207, May.
- Vasconcellos, G. M. & Kish, R. J., 1998. "Cross-border mergers and acquisitions: the European-US experience," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 431-450, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ifaamr:34373. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.