Spending Priorities in the EU Budget 2007–2013: The Perspective of Fiscal Federalism
The new financial framework of the EU for the years from 2007 to 2013 provides for total liabilities amounting to € 864 billion. The budget thereby just slightly exceeds 1 percent of aggregate national income of the 27 member states. However, the composition of expenditure corresponds only to some extent to concepts developed by the theory of fiscal federalism for an optimal allocation of economic responsibilities between the Union and its member states. Almost one-half of EU budgetary expenditure is devoted to items for which an EU responsibility is difficult to establish from the point of view of fiscal federalism. From a normative perspective, a readjustment of funds would be desirable in favour of policy areas for which a genuine European responsibility can indeed be justified (e.g., basic research).
Volume (Year): 12 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+43 1) 798 26 01-0
Fax: (+43 1) 798 93 86
Web page: http://www.wifo.ac.at/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521233293 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521027922 is not listed on IDEAS
- Krugman, Paul, 1991.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 483-99, June.
- Guido Tabellini, 2003. "Principles of Policymaking in the European Union: an Economic Perspective," Levine's Working Paper Archive 506439000000000157, David K. Levine.
- Schweickert, Rainer, 2005. "Vor der nächsten Erweiterung - Herausforderungen und Reformbedarf der EU," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 3667, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Michele Boldrin & Fabio Canova, 2001. "Inequality and convergence in Europe's regions: reconsidering European regional policies," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 16(32), pages 205-253, 04.
- Norbert Berthold & Rainer Fehn, 2002. "Arbeitsmarktpolitik in der Europäischen Währungsunion," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 3(3), pages 317-345, 08.
- Wallace E. Oates, 1999. "An Essay on Fiscal Federalism," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(3), pages 1120-1149, September.
- Fritz Breuss & Markus Eller, 2004. "The Optimal Decentralisation of Government Activity: Normative Recommendations for the European Constitution," Constitutional Political Economy, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 27-76, 03.
- James R. Hines, 2006. "Will Social Welfare Expenditures Survive Tax Competition?," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(3), pages 330-348, Autumn.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wfo:wquart:y:2007:i:1:p:11-24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilse Schulz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.