Public Spending And Regional Convergence In Italy
This paper examines the relationship between public spending and regional growth in Italy in the period 1996-2007. The main results suggest that, in the period examined, a phase of RO and beta-convergence in productivity took place. Despite the profound regional disparities existing in Italy, the allocation of public spending calculated in per capita terms has favoured the most developed regions. When the entire sample of twenty regions is considered, no correlation between capital expenditure and productive growth is found. When the sample is split into Northern and Southern regions, differences in the links between public spending and productivity growth can be noted, however: only in the first group of regions, in fact, a significant, positive relationship between expenditure for development and growth can be found.
Volume (Year): 4 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2(8)_Summer 2009 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www2.spiruharet.ro/facultati/facultate.php?id=14|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sala-i-Martin, Xavier X., 1996.
"Regional cohesion: Evidence and theories of regional growth and convergence,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1325-1352, June.
- Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1994. "Regional Cohesion: Evidence and Theories of Regional Growth and Convergence," CEPR Discussion Papers 1075, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1994. "Regional cohesion: Evidence and theories of regional growth and convergence," Economics Working Papers 104, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- S. Loddo, 2006. "Structural Funds and Regional Convergence in Italy," Working Paper CRENoS 200603, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Silvia Loddo, 2011. "Structural funds and regional convergence in Italy," ERSA conference papers ersa10p1231, European Regional Science Association.
- Marinella Terrasi, 1999. "Convergence and divergence across Italian regions," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 33(4), pages 491-510.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark F. J. Steel, 2001. "Model uncertainty in cross-country growth regressions," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(5), pages 563-576.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark Steel, 1999. "Model uncertainty in cross-country growth regressions," Econometrics 9903003, EconWPA, revised 06 Oct 2001.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark Steel, 2001. "Model uncertainty in cross-country growth regressions," Econometrics 0110002, EconWPA.
- Di Liberto Adriana, 2001. "Stock" di capitale umano e crescita nelle regioni italiane: un approccio "panel," Politica economica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 159-184.
- Ciriaci D., 2001. "Convergenza e dualismo: Nord e Sud tra il 1970 e il 1999," Rivista economica del Mezzogiorno, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 4, pages 763-802.
- Roberto Leon-Gonzalez & Daniel Montolio, 2004. "Growth, convergence and public investment. A Bayesian model averaging approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(17), pages 1925-1936.
- Roberto León-González & Daniel Montolio, "undated". "Growth, Convergence And Public Investment. A Bayesian Model Averaging Approach," Working Papers 13-03 Classification-JEL , Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
- Roberto Leon Gonzalez & Daniel Montolio Estivill, 2003. "Growth, Convergence and Public Investment. A Bayesian Model Averaging Approach," Working Papers in Economics 106, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Giunta Anna & Florio Massimo, 2002. "L'esperienza dei contratti di programma: una valutazione a metà percorso," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 359-396.
- Massimo Florio & Anna Giunta, 2001. "L'esperienza dei contratti di programma: una valutazione a metà percorso," Departmental Working Papers 2001-12, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Sandy DALL’ERBA & Rachel GUILLAIN & Julie LE GALLO, 2009. "Impact Of Structural Funds On Regional Growth: How To Reconsider A 9 Year-Old Black Box," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 30, pages 77-100.
- Sandy Dall'Erba & Rachel Guillain & Julie Le Gallo, 2009. "Impact of structural funds on regional growth : How to reconsider a 9-year-old black box," Post-Print hal-00485043, HAL.
- Maffezzoli Marco, 2006. "Convergence Across Italian Regions and the Role of Technological Catch-Up," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 1-43, August.
- Marco Maffezzoli, 2004. "Convergence Across Italian Regions and the Role of Technological Catch-Up," Working Papers 274, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Cristiano Perugini & Marcello Signorelli, 2005. "Employment Differences, Convergences and Similarities in Italian Provinces," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 07/2005, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia.
- Xavier Sala-I-Martin & Gernot Doppelhofer & Ronald I. Miller, 2004. "Determinants of Long-Term Growth: A Bayesian Averaging of Classical Estimates (BACE) Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(4), pages 813-835, September.
- Gernot Doppelhofer & Ronald I. Miller & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 2000. "Determinants of Long-Term Growth: A Bayesian Averaging of Classical Estimates (Bace) Approach," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 266, OECD Publishing.
- Gernot Doppelhofer & Ronald I. Miller & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 2000. "Determinants of Long-Term Growth: A Bayesian Averaging of Classical Estimates (BACE) Approach," NBER Working Papers 7750, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nazrul Islam, 2003. "What have We Learnt from the Convergence Debate?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(3), pages 309-362, 07.
- Maaike Beugelsdijk & Sylvester C.W. Eijffinger, 2005. "The Effectiveness of Structural Policy in the European Union: An Empirical Analysis for the EU-15 in 1995-2001," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 37-51, 03.
- Beugelsdijk, S. & Eijffinger, S.C.W., 2005. "The effectiveness of structural policy in the European Union : An empirical analysis for the EU-15 in 1995-2001," Other publications TiSEM c3ca201b-f33b-4ce0-a1f2-a, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Bronzini Raffaello & De Blasio Guido, 2006. "Una valutazione degli incentivi pubblici agli investimenti," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 331-362.
- Marco PERCOCO, 2005. "The Impact Of Structural Funds On The Italian Mezzogiorno, 1994-1999," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 21, pages 141-153.
- Emanuela Marrocu & Raffaele Paci, 2010. "The effects of public capital on the productivity of the Italian regions," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(8), pages 989-1002.
- E. Marrocu & R. Paci, 2006. "The effects of public capital on the productivity of the Italian regions," Working Paper CRENoS 200613, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Sergio Destefanis & Gianluigi Coppola, 2007. "Fondi strutturali, produttività e occupazione. Uno studio sulle regioni italiane," RIVISTA DI ECONOMIA E STATISTICA DEL TERRITORIO, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2007(2), pages 85-113. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ush:jaessh:v:4:y:2009:i:2(8)_summer2009:69. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Stefanescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.