Development Policy, Public Spending and Regional Convergence in Italy (1996-2007)
The objective of this paper is twofold. Firstly, it offers some empirical evidence on the evolution of regional disparities in Italy in the light of recent development policies. Secondly, the paper focuses on the role of public spending in the convergence process. This analysis is based on a detailed dataset that offers data for different categories of public expenditure flows at the regional level for the years 1996-2007. Regression analysis shows how the impact of public spending on growth differs, dependent upon the regions and the categories of expenditure. When the entire sample is considered, a positive relationship between current expenditure and productivity growth is found. If the sample is split into Northern and Southern regions, the estimates lead to different results. In the first group, composed of the most developed Italian regions, results show a positive and significant correlation between capital public expenditure and growth, while in the less developed Southern regions productivity growth results as only weakly linked to current expenditure.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 9 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.usc.es/economet/info.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maaike Beugelsdijk & Sylvester C.W. Eijffinger, 2005.
"The Effectiveness of Structural Policy in the European Union: An Empirical Analysis for the EU-15 in 1995-2001,"
Journal of Common Market Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 37-51, 03.
- Beugelsdijk, S. & Eijffinger, S.C.W., 2005. "The effectiveness of structural policy in the European Union : An empirical analysis for the EU-15 in 1995-2001," Other publications TiSEM c3ca201b-f33b-4ce0-a1f2-a, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- GUISAN, Maria-Carmen, 2008. "Rates, Ratios And Per Capita Variables In International Models: Analysis Of Investment And Foreign Trade In Oecd Countries," International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 5(2).
- Roberto Leon Gonzalez & Daniel Montolio Estivill, 2003.
"Growth, Convergence and Public Investment. A Bayesian Model Averaging Approach,"
Working Papers in Economics
106, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Roberto Leon-Gonzalez & Daniel Montolio, 2004. "Growth, convergence and public investment. A Bayesian model averaging approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(17), pages 1925-1936.
- Roberto León-González & Daniel Montolio, . "Growth, Convergence And Public Investment. A Bayesian Model Averaging Approach," Working Papers 13-03 Classification-JEL , Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
- Emanuela Marrocu & Raffaele Paci, 2010.
"The effects of public capital on the productivity of the Italian regions,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(8), pages 989-1002.
- E. Marrocu & R. Paci, 2006. "The effects of public capital on the productivity of the Italian regions," Working Paper CRENoS 200613, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Marco PERCOCO, 2005. "The Impact Of Structural Funds On The Italian Mezzogiorno, 1994-1999," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 21, pages 141-153.
- Sergio Destefanis & Gianluigi Coppola, 2007. "Fondi strutturali, produttività e occupazione. Uno studio sulle regioni italiane," RIVISTA DI ECONOMIA E STATISTICA DEL TERRITORIO, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2007(2), pages 85-113.
- Durlauf,S.N. & Johnson,P.A. & Temple,J.R.W., 2004.
18, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Johnson, Paul & Durlauf, Steven N & Temple, Johnathan R. W., 2004. "Growth Econometrics," Vassar College Department of Economics Working Paper Series 61, Vassar College Department of Economics.
- Gernot Doppelhofer & Ronald I. Miller & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 2000.
"Determinants of Long-Term Growth: A Bayesian Averaging of Classical Estimates (BACE) Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
7750, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Xavier Sala-I-Martin & Gernot Doppelhofer & Ronald I. Miller, 2004. "Determinants of Long-Term Growth: A Bayesian Averaging of Classical Estimates (BACE) Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(4), pages 813-835, September.
- Gernot Doppelhofer & Ronald I. Miller & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 2000. "Determinants of Long-Term Growth: A Bayesian Averaging of Classical Estimates (Bace) Approach," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 266, OECD Publishing.
- Michele Boldrin & Fabio Canova, 2001. "Inequality and convergence in Europe's regions: reconsidering European regional policies," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 16(32), pages 205-253, 04.
- Di Liberto Adriana, 2001. "Stock" di capitale umano e crescita nelle regioni italiane: un approccio "panel," Politica economica - Journal of Economic Policy (PEJEP), Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 159-184.
- Sandy DALL’ERBA & Rachel GUILLAIN & Julie LE GALLO, 2009.
"Impact Of Structural Funds On Regional Growth: How To Reconsider A 9 Year-Old Black Box,"
Region et Developpement,
Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 30, pages 77-100.
- Sandy Dall'Erba & Rachel Guillain & Julie Le Gallo, 2009. "Impact of structural funds on regional growth : How to reconsider a 9-year-old black box," Post-Print hal-00485043, HAL.
- Marinella Terrasi, 1999. "Convergence and divergence across Italian regions," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 491-510.
- Daniele VITTORIO, 2009. "Public Spending And Regional Convergence In Italy," Journal of Applied Economic Sciences, Spiru Haret University, Faculty of Financial Management and Accounting Craiova, vol. 4(2(8)_Summ).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eaa:eerese:v:9:y2009:i:9_8. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.