Employment Differences, Convergences and Similarities in Italian Provinces
The objective of the paper is to provide some empirical evidence on the differences in the employment performance and dynamics of the Italian provinces. In the first part of the paper, after a having recalled the most recent empirical literature about regional labour market performance, we carry out a convergence (of s- and ß-type) analysis of the provincial employment rates (total and female) over the period 1995-2002. In the second part of the paper, using a wide set of employment indicators, a cluster analysis is implemented in order to draw some provincial labour market profiles. Our outcomes confirm a deep diversification of labour market performance across the country but also some signs of a weaker persistence of it: the generalised improvement of labour market performances is indeed accompanied by a clear (even though weak) convergence dynamic of the employment rates.
|Date of creation:||20 May 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: via Pascoli, 20 - 06123 Perugia|
Phone: +39 075 5855279
Fax: +39 075 5855299
Web page: http://www.econ.unipg.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert J. Barro, 2013.
"Inflation and Economic Growth,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 14(1), pages 121-144, May.
- Olivier Blanchard, 2004.
"The Economic Future of Europe,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 18(4), pages 3-26, Fall.
- Duro, Juan Antonio & Esteban, Joan, 1998. "Factor decomposition of cross-country income inequality, 1960-1990," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 269-275, September.
- Marelli, Enrico, 2004. "Evolution of employment structures and regional specialisation in the EU," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 35-59, March.
- Cristiano Perugini & Marcello Signorelli, 2004. "Employment Performance and Convergence in the European Countries and Regions," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 1(2), pages 243-278, December.
- Yiannis Kamarianakis & Julie Le Gallo, 2003.
"The evolution of regional productivity disparities in the European Union, 1975-2000,"
- Yiannis KAMARIANAKIS (IACM and University of Crete) & Julie Le GALLO (GRES- IFReDE-IERSO), 2003. "The evolution of regional productivity disparities in the European Union, 1975-2000," Cahiers du GRES (2002-2009) 2003-15, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Enrico Marelli, 2006. "Regional Employment Dynamics in the EU: Structural Outlook, Co-Movements, Clusters and Common Shocks," AIEL Series in Labour Economics, in: Floro Ernesto Caroleo & Sergio Destefanis (ed.), The European Labour Market. Regional Dimensions, edition 1, chapter 4, pages 89-121 AIEL - Associazione Italiana Economisti del Lavoro.
- Pietro Garibaldi & Paolo Mauro, 2002. "Anatomy of employment growth," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 17(34), pages 67-114, 04.
- Juan Miguel Benito & Roberto Ezcurra, 2004. "Spatial disparities in productivity and industry mix: The case of the European regions," ERSA conference papers ersa04p102, European Regional Science Association.
- Bruno Bracalente & Cristiano Perugini, 2008.
"The Components of Regional Disparities in Europe,"
Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica
47/2008, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia.
- Bean, Charles R, 1994.
"European Unemployment: A Survey,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 32(2), pages 573-619, June.
- Floro Ernesto Caroleo & Sergio Destefanis (ed.), 2006. "The European Labour Market. Regional Dimensions," AIEL Series in Labour Economics, AIEL - Associazione Italiana Economisti del Lavoro, number 01.
- Juan R. Cuadrado-Roura & TomÂs Mancha-Navarro & RubÊn Garrido-Yserte, 2000. "Regional productivity patterns in Europe: An alternative approach," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 34(3), pages 365-384.
- Edmond Malinvaud, 1996. "Growth and employment in the European perspective," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 9(1), pages 6-17, Spring.
- Marcello Signorelli, 1997. "Uncertainty, Flexibility Gap and Labour Demand in the Italian Economy," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 11(1), pages 141-175, 04.
- Barro, R.J., 1989.
"Economic Growth In A Cross Section Of Countries,"
RCER Working Papers
201, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pia:wpaper:07/2005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Davide Castellani)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.