Employment Differences, Convergences and Similarities in Italian Provinces
The objective of the paper is to provide some empirical evidence on the differences in the employment performance and dynamics of the Italian provinces. In the first part of the paper, after a having recalled the most recent empirical literature about regional labour market performance, we carry out a convergence (of s- and ß-type) analysis of the provincial employment rates (total and female) over the period 1995-2002. In the second part of the paper, using a wide set of employment indicators, a cluster analysis is implemented in order to draw some provincial labour market profiles. Our outcomes confirm a deep diversification of labour market performance across the country but also some signs of a weaker persistence of it: the generalised improvement of labour market performances is indeed accompanied by a clear (even though weak) convergence dynamic of the employment rates.
|Date of creation:||20 May 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: via Pascoli, 20 - 06123 Perugia|
Phone: +39 075 5855279
Fax: +39 075 5855299
Web page: http://www.econ.unipg.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marelli, Enrico, 2004. "Evolution of employment structures and regional specialisation in the EU," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 35-59, March.
- Bean, Charles R, 1994.
"European Unemployment: A Survey,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 32(2), pages 573-619, June.
- C Bean, 1992. "European Unemployment: A Survey," CEP Discussion Papers dp0071, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Edmond Malinvaud, 1996. "Growth and employment in the European perspective," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 9(1), pages 6-17, Spring.
- Robert J. Barro, 2013. "Inflation and Economic Growth," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 14(1), pages 121-144, May.
- Robert J. Barro, 1995. "Inflation and Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 5326, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Barro, 2012. "Inflation and Economic Growth," CEMA Working Papers 568, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Robert J. Barro, 1991. "Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(2), pages 407-443.
- Barro, R.J., 1989. "Economic Growth In A Cross Section Of Countries," RCER Working Papers 201, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Robert J. Barro, 1989. "Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries," NBER Working Papers 3120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cristiano Perugini & Marcello Signorelli, 2004. "Employment Performance and Convergence in the European Countries and Regions," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 1(2), pages 243-278, December.
- Marcello Signorelli, 1997. "Uncertainty, Flexibility Gap and Labour Demand in the Italian Economy," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 11(1), pages 141-175, 04.
- Floro Ernesto Caroleo & Sergio Destefanis (ed.), 2006. "The European Labour Market. Regional Dimensions," AIEL Series in Labour Economics, AIEL - Associazione Italiana Economisti del Lavoro, number 01, December.
- Olivier Blanchard, 2004. "The Economic Future of Europe," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 18(4), pages 3-26, Fall.
- Olivier Blanchard, 2004. "The Economic Future of Europe," NBER Working Papers 10310, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pietro Garibaldi & Paolo Mauro, 2002. "Anatomy of employment growth," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 17(34), pages 67-114, 04.
- Yiannis KAMARIANAKIS (IACM and University of Crete) & Julie Le GALLO (GRES- IFReDE-IERSO), 2003. "The evolution of regional productivity disparities in the European Union, 1975-2000," Cahiers du GRES (2002-2009) 2003-15, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Yiannis Kamarianakis & Julie Le Gallo, 2003. "The evolution of regional productivity disparities in the European Union, 1975-2000," Urban/Regional 0312004, EconWPA.
- Juan Miguel Benito & Roberto Ezcurra, 2004. "Spatial disparities in productivity and industry mix: The case of the European regions," ERSA conference papers ersa04p102, European Regional Science Association.
- Bruno Bracalente & Cristiano Perugini, 2010. "The components of regional disparities in Europe," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 44(3), pages 621-645, June.
- Bruno Bracalente & Cristiano Perugini, 2008. "The Components of Regional Disparities in Europe," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 47/2008, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia.
- Duro, Juan Antonio & Esteban, Joan, 1998. "Factor decomposition of cross-country income inequality, 1960-1990," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 269-275, September.
- Enrico Marelli, 2006. "Regional Employment Dynamics in the EU: Structural Outlook, Co-Movements, Clusters and Common Shocks," AIEL Series in Labour Economics, in: Floro Ernesto Caroleo & Sergio Destefanis (ed.), The European Labour Market. Regional Dimensions, edition 1, chapter 4, pages 89-121 AIEL - Associazione Italiana Economisti del Lavoro.
- Juan R. Cuadrado-Roura & TomÂs Mancha-Navarro & RubÊn Garrido-Yserte, 2000. "Regional productivity patterns in Europe: An alternative approach," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 34(3), pages 365-384. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)