Employment and Unemployment in the Italian Provinces
The aim of the paper is to discuss the characteristics of various labour market performance indicators and to use them to provide some empirical evidence regarding Italian labour market performance at provincial level (NUTS 3). This is done by comparing results obtained by means of various descriptive statistics and sigma and beta convergence analysis for unemployment and employment indicators. The empirical analysis is preceded by a discussion on the theoretical meaning and implications of using unemployment rates vs. employment rates and on the possibility/appropriateness of using convergence tools for labour market analysis. The last section summarises and discusses the main results, and some policy considerations are provided.
|Date of creation:||24 Mar 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: via Pascoli, 20 - 06123 Perugia|
Phone: +39 075 5855279
Fax: +39 075 5855299
Web page: http://www.econ.unipg.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Floro Ernesto Caroleo & Sergio Destefanis (ed.), 2006. "The European Labour Market. Regional Dimensions," AIEL Series in Labour Economics, AIEL - Associazione Italiana Economisti del Lavoro, number 01.
- Edmond Malinvaud, 1996. "Growth and employment in the European perspective," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 9(1), pages 6-17, Spring.
- Marcello Signorelli, 1997. "Uncertainty, Flexibility Gap and Labour Demand in the Italian Economy," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 11(1), pages 141-175, 04.
- Bruno Bracalente & Cristiano Perugini, 2010.
"The components of regional disparities in Europe,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 44(3), pages 621-645, June.
- Bruno Bracalente & Cristiano Perugini, 2008. "The Components of Regional Disparities in Europe," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 47/2008, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia.
- Pietro Garibaldi & Paolo Mauro, 2002. "Anatomy of employment growth," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 17(34), pages 67-114, 04.
- Robert J. Barro, 2012.
"Inflation and Economic Growth,"
CEMA Working Papers
568, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Olivier Blanchard, 2004.
"The Economic Future of Europe,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 18(4), pages 3-26, Fall.
- C Bean, 1992.
"European Unemployment: A Survey,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0071, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Robert J. Barro, 1989.
"Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
3120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yiannis Kamarianakis & Julie Le Gallo, 2003.
"The evolution of regional productivity disparities in the European Union, 1975-2000,"
- Yiannis KAMARIANAKIS (IACM and University of Crete) & Julie Le GALLO (GRES- IFReDE-IERSO), 2003. "The evolution of regional productivity disparities in the European Union, 1975-2000," Cahiers du GRES (2002-2009) 2003-15, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Juan R. Cuadrado-Roura & TomÂs Mancha-Navarro & RubÊn Garrido-Yserte, 2000. "Regional productivity patterns in Europe: An alternative approach," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 34(3), pages 365-384.
- Juan Miguel Benito & Roberto Ezcurra, 2004. "Spatial disparities in productivity and industry mix: The case of the European regions," ERSA conference papers ersa04p102, European Regional Science Association.
- Marelli, Enrico, 2004. "Evolution of employment structures and regional specialisation in the EU," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 35-59, March.
- Enrico Marelli, 2006. "Regional Employment Dynamics in the EU: Structural Outlook, Co-Movements, Clusters and Common Shocks," AIEL Series in Labour Economics, in: Floro Ernesto Caroleo & Sergio Destefanis (ed.), The European Labour Market. Regional Dimensions, edition 1, chapter 4, pages 89-121 AIEL - Associazione Italiana Economisti del Lavoro.
- Cristiano Perugini & Marcello Signorelli, 2004. "Employment Performance and Convergence in the European Countries and Regions," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 1(2), pages 243-278, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pia:wpaper:49/2008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Davide Castellani)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.