Regional inequality in the European Union: Does industry mix matter?
Ezcurra R., Gil C., Pascual P. and Rapun M. (2005) Regional inequality in the European Union: does industry mix matter?, Regional Studies 39 , 679-697. The aim of this paper is to test for the respective roles of regional and sectoral factors in productivity convergence in the European Union between 1977 and 1999. The methodology used for this is a new one that combines an alternative version of shift-share analysis with various results quoted in the literature on personal income distribution. The empirical evidence suggests that regional disparity in productivity in the European Union is closely related to intrinsic differences between regions. Whatever the case, the results that emerge also reveal the fundamental role of the country effect in accounting for regional disparities in income per worker in Europe. In addition our empirical results support the relevance of one-sector growth models to explicate per-capita income disparities in the European regions.
Volume (Year): 39 (2005)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRES20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CRES20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Magrini, Stefano, 1999. "The evolution of income disparities among the regions of the European Union," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 257-281, March.
- Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1994.
"Regional Cohesion: Evidence and Theories of Regional Growth and Convergence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1075, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sala-i-Martin, Xavier X., 1996. "Regional cohesion: Evidence and theories of regional growth and convergence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1325-1352, June.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1994. "Regional cohesion: Evidence and theories of regional growth and convergence," Economics Working Papers 104, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- R. Paci & F. Pigliaru, 1997.
"European regional growth: do sectors matter?,"
Working Paper CRENoS
199703, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Raffaele Paci, 1997.
"More similar and less equal: Economic growth in the European regions,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 133(4), pages 609-634, December.
- R. Paci, 1996. "More similar and less equal. Economic growth in the European regions," Working Paper CRENoS 199609, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Enrique Lopez-Bazo & Bernard Fingleton, 2003. "Explaining the distribution of manufacturing productivity in the EU regions," ERSA conference papers ersa03p197, European Regional Science Association.
- Cuadrado-Roura, Juan R. & Garrido, Ruben & Mancha, Tomas, 2000. "Convergence And Regional Mobility In The European Union," ERSA conference papers ersa00p450, European Regional Science Association.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:regstd:v:39:y:2005:i:6:p:679-697. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.