Dynamics of European agricultural productivity: An analysis of regional convergence
This paper analyses the evolution of the European agricultural productivity distribution under the hypothesis of persistent differences in productivity levels over time. We use the Cambridge Econometrics European Regional Database and work on a sample of 125 EU-15 regions from 1985 to 2004. Density functions, transition matrices and stochastic kernels are combined to study the dynamics of the productivity distribution. We observe no evidence of strong productivity convergence. Regional disparities across European agricultures are large and persistent. The highest levels of persistence are concentrated in both extremes of the productivity distribution. Additionally, we propose a regional typology on the basis of different structural patterns according to the economic and territorial dimension of the holdings, the characteristics of the labour force and the productive specialization. The main result is that the diversity of patterns conditions productivity and hinders sectoral convergence. Divergence in agricultural productivity will continue if differences in structural patterns persist in the future.
Volume (Year): 92 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 4, Allée Adolphe Bobierre, CS 61103, 35011 Rennes Cedex|
Web page: http://www.necplus.eu/action/displayJournal?jid=RAE
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Quah, Danny T, 1997. " Empirics for Growth and Distribution: Stratification, Polarization, and Convergence Clubs," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 27-59, March.
- Steven N. Durlauf & Danny T. Quah, 1998.
"The New Empirics of Economic Growth,"
98-01-012, Santa Fe Institute.
- Durlauf,S.N. & Quah,D.T., 1998. "The new empirics of economic growth," Working papers 3, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Steven N. Durlauf & Danny T. Quah, 1998. "The New Empirics of Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 6422, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- S Durlauf & Danny Quah, 1998. "The New Empirics of Economic Growth," CEP Discussion Papers dp0384, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Quah, Danny T., 1996. "Regional convergence clusters across Europe," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 951-958, April.
- Quah, Danny T, 1996. " Convergence Empirics across Economies with (Some) Capital Mobility," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 95-124, March.
- Raffaele Paci & Francesco Pigliaru, 1999.
"European regional growth: do sectors matter?,"
in: Economic Growth and Change, chapter 8
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991.
"Convergence Across States and Regions,"
629, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Robert J. Barro & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1991. "Convergence across States and Regions," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(1), pages 107-182.
- Barro, Robert J & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992. "Convergence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(2), pages 223-51, April.
- Quah, Danny, 1993.
"Empirical cross-section dynamics in economic growth,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 426-434, April.
- Danny Quah, 1992. "Empirical Cross-Section Dynamics in Economic Growth," FMG Discussion Papers dp154, Financial Markets Group.
- Danny Quah, 1992. "Empirical cross-section dynamics in economic growth," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 75, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Stilianos Alexiadis & Alexandros Alexandrakis, 2008. "Threshold Conditions and Regional Convergence in European Agriculture," International Journal of Business and Economic Sciences Applied Research (IJBESAR), Eastern Macedonia and Thrace Institute of Technology (EMATTECH), Kavala, Greece, vol. 1(2), pages 13-37, December.
- Raffaele Paci, 1997.
"More similar and less equal: Economic growth in the European regions,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 133(4), pages 609-634, December.
- R. Paci, 1996. "More similar and less equal. Economic growth in the European regions," Working Paper CRENoS 199609, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Roberto Ezcurra & Belen Iraizoz & Pedro Pascual & Manuel Rapun, 2008. "Spatial disparities in the European agriculture: a regional analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(13), pages 1669-1684.
- Quah, Danny T., 1996. "Empirics for economic growth and convergence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1353-1375, June.
- Danny Quah, 1996. "Convergence as Distribution Dynamics (with or without Growth)," CEP Discussion Papers dp0317, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Quah, Danny, 1997. "Empirics for Growth and Distribution: Stratification, Polarization, and Convergence Clubs," CEPR Discussion Papers 1586, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- Costas Megir & Danny Quah, 1996. "Regional Convergence Clusters Across Europe," CEP Discussion Papers dp0274, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Magrini, Stefano, 2004. "Regional (di)convergence," Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, in: J. V. Henderson & J. F. Thisse (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 62, pages 2741-2796 Elsevier.
- Anthony Rezitis, 2010. "Agricultural productivity and convergence: Europe and the United States," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(8), pages 1029-1044.
- Enrique Lopez Bazo & Esther Vaya Valcarce & Antonio Jose Mora & Jordi Surinach Caralt, 1997. "Regional economic dynamics and convergence in the european union," Working Papers in Economics 12, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Quah, Danny, 1996. "Regional Convergence Clusters Across Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 1286, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maria Sassi, 2010. "OLS and GWR Approaches to Agricultural Convergence in the EU-15," International Advances in Economic Research, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 16(1), pages 96-108, February.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rae:jourae:v:92:y:2011:i:3:p:237-258. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Saux-Nogues)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.