Two-Sample Instrumental Variables Estimators
Following an influential article by Angrist and Krueger (1992) on two-sample instrumental variables (TSIV) estimation, numerous empirical researchers have applied a computationally convenient two-sample two-stage least squares (TS2SLS) variant of Angrist and Krueger's estimator. In the two-sample context, unlike the single-sample situation, the IV and 2SLS estimators are numerically distinct. We derive and compare the asymptotic distributions of the two estimators and find that the commonly used TS2SLS estimator is more asymptotically efficient than the TSIV estimator. We also resolve some confusion in the literature about how to estimate standard errors for the TS2SLS estimator. © 2010 The President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Volume (Year): 92 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journal-home.tcl?issn=00346535|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George J. Borjas, 2001.
"Food Insecurity and Public Assistance,"
JCPR Working Papers
243, Northwestern University/University of Chicago Joint Center for Poverty Research.
- Joshua D. Angrist & Alan B. Krueger, 1990.
"The Effect of Age at School Entry on Educational Attainment: An Application of Instrumental Variables with Moments from Two Samples,"
NBER Working Papers
3571, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joshua Angrist & Alan Krueger, 1990. "The Effect of Age at School Entry on Educational Attainment: An Application of Instrumental Variables with Moments from Two Samples," Working Papers 654, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Bjorklund, Anders & Jantti, Markus, 1997. "Intergenerational Income Mobility in Sweden Compared to the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(5), pages 1009-18, December.
- Murphy, Kevin M & Topel, Robert H, 2002.
"Estimation and Inference in Two-Step Econometric Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 88-97, January.
- Murphy, Kevin M & Topel, Robert H, 1985. "Estimation and Inference in Two-Step Econometric Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 3(4), pages 370-79, October.
- Joshua D. Angrist & Alan B. Krueger, 1995.
"Split Sample Instrumental Variables,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0150, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- J. Currie & A. Yelowitz, .
"Are Public Housing Projects Good For Kids?,"
Institute for Research on Poverty Discussion Papers
1152-97, University of Wisconsin Institute for Research on Poverty.
- Tauchen, George, 1986. "Statistical Properties of Generalized Method-of-Moments Estimators of Structural Parameters Obtained from Financial Market Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 4(4), pages 397-416, October.
- Thomas S. Dee & William N. Evans, 2003. "Teen Drinking and Educational Attainment: Evidence from Two-Sample Instrumental Variables Estimates," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(1), pages 178-209, January.
- Joshua D. Angrist & Guido W. Imbens & Alan Krueger, 1995.
"Jackknife Instrumental Variables Estimation,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0172, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tpr:restat:v:92:y:2010:i:3:p:557-561. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Pollock-Nelson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.