Economic Efficiency in Polish Peasant Farming: An International Perspective
One decade following the market transition in Poland, the agricultural sector still exhibits low productivity. Policy makers often describe the sector as fragmented and inefficient. To understand why small-scale farming in Poland is inefficient despite longstanding secure property rights, a survey of economic efficiency in Southern agriculture was conducted and compared with limited studies of efficiency in Poland. The most important issues, particularly related to farm size and efficiency, are price risk, uncertainty and low rural development. Comparative studies across regions with varying institutional arrangements and economic organization are powerful, but must be made carefully and critically.
Volume (Year): 35 (2001)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRES20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CRES20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benjamin, Dwayne, 1995. "Can unobserved land quality explain the inverse productivity relationship?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 51-84, February.
- Carter, Michael R, 1984. "Identification of the Inverse Relationship between Farm Size and Productivity: An Empirical Analysis of Peasant Agricultural Production," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(1), pages 131-45, March.
- S.R. Johnson & Aziz Bouzaher & Alicia Carriquiry & Helen Jensen & P.G. Lakshminarayan, 1994.
"Production Efficiency and Agricultural Reform in Ukraine,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 76(3), pages 629-635.
- Johnson, Stanley R. & Bouzaher, Aziz & Carriquiry, Alicia L. & Jensen, Helen H. & Lakshminarayan, P. G., 1994. "Production Efficiency and Agricultural Reform in Ukraine," Staff General Research Papers 757, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Csaki, Csaba & Lerman, Zvi, 1994. "Land Reform and Farm Sector Restructuring in the Former Socialist Countries in Europe," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 21(3-4), pages 553-76.
- Jean Due & Stephen Schmidt, 1995. "Comparison of Privatization of Economies of Eastern Africa and Eastern Europe," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 7(1), pages 50-75.
- Boyd, Michael L., 1988. "The performance of private and socialist agriculture in Poland: The effects of policy and organization," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 61-73, March.
- Phillips, Joseph M. & Marble, Robert P., 1986. "Farmer education and efficiency: a frontier production function approach," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 257-264, June.
- Barrett, Christopher B., 1996. "On price risk and the inverse farm size-productivity relationship," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 193-215, December.
- Van Zyl, Johan & Miller, Bill R. & Parker, Andrew, 1996. "Agrarian structure in Poland : the myth of large-farm superiority," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1596, The World Bank.
- Christensen, G. & Lacroix, R., 1997. "Competitiveness and Employment. A Framework for Rural Development in Poland," World Bank - Discussion Papers 383, World Bank.
- Antle, John M., 1984. "Human capital, infrastructure, and the productivity of Indian rice farmers," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 163-181.
- Chmielewska, Wanda & Baker, Derek, 1995. "The Polish agricultural marketing system: A policy perspective on developments," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 51-57, February.
- D. Gale Johnson, 1982. "Agriculture in the Centrally Planned Economies," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 64(5), pages 845-853.
- Cornia, Giovanni Andrea, 1985. "Farm size, land yields and the agricultural production function: An analysis for fifteen developing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 513-534, April.
- Shapiro, Kenneth H & Muller, Jurgen, 1977. " Sources of Technical Efficiency: The Roles of Modernization and Information," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 25(2), pages 293-310, January.
- Taylor, Timothy G. & Scott Shonkwiler, J., 1986. "Alternative stochastic specifications of the frontier production function in the analysis of agricultural credit programs and technical efficiency," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 149-160, April.
- Brada, Josef C & King, Arthur E, 1993. "Is Private Farming More Efficient Than Socialized Agriculture?," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 60(237), pages 41-56, February.
- Kornai, Janos, 1992. "The Socialist System: The Political Economy of Communism," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198287766.
- Hallam, David & Machado, Fernando, 1996. "Efficiency Analysis with Panel Data: A Study of Portuguese Dairy Farms," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 23(1), pages 79-93.
- W.J. Florkowski & H. Szulce & A.H. Elnagheeb, 1997. "Privatizing Agricultural Services in a Transition Economy," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 19(1), pages 45-57.
- Bhalla, Surjit S & Roy, Prannoy L, 1988. "Mis-specification in Farm Productivity Analysis: The Role of Land Quality," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 40(1), pages 55-73, March.
- Mijindadi, Ndanusa B. & Norman, David W., 1984. "Efficiency differentials in the traditional agriculture of Northern Nigeria," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 213-228.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:regstd:v:35:y:2001:i:5:p:461-471. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.