Innovation and job creation in a dual labor market: evidence from Spain
This paper studies the effect of product and process innovations on job creation in the Spanish manufacturing sector over the period 1991--2005. We use a change in the employment protection legislation (EPL) in 1997 to study the effect of innovations on permanent and temporary workers before and after that change. We find that (i) product and process innovation created jobs, (ii) before the change in the EPL in 1997 innovations did not affect the number of permanent workers and all the increase in employment was explained by the increase in the number of temporary workers, (iii) after the change in the EPL, innovations increased both the number of temporary and permanent employees, and (iv) while the increase in temporary workers takes place after one year of the innovations, the increase in permanent workers occurs mainly two years after the innovations.
Volume (Year): 21 (2012)
Issue (Month): 8 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GEIN20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/GEIN20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Catalina Amuedo-Dorantes, 2000. "Work transitions into and out of involuntary temporary employment in a segmented market: Evidence from Spain," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 53(2), pages 309-325, January.
- M. Dolores Collado, 2001.
"Innovation And Job Creation And Destruction: Evidence From Spain,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2001-25, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- César Alonso-Borrego & Dolores Collado, 2002. "Innovation and Job Creation and Destruction . Evidence from Spain," Recherches économiques de Louvain, De Boeck Université, vol. 68(1), pages 148-168.
- César ALONSO-BORREGO & Dolores COLLADO, 2002. "Innovation and Job Creation and Destruction : Evidence from Spain," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2002024, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- César Alonso-Borrego & M. Dolores Collado, 2001. "Innovation And Job Creation And Destruction: Evidence From Spain," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws013824, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Harrison, Rupert & Jaumandreu, Jordi & Mairesse, Jacques & Peters, Bettina, 2014.
"Does innovation stimulate employment? A firm-level analysis using comparable micro-data from four European countries,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 29-43.
- Harrison, Rupert & Jaumandreu Balanzo, Jordi & Mairesse, Jacques & Peters, Bettina, 2008. "Does Innovation Stimulate Employment? A Firm-Level Analysis Using Comparable Micro-Data From Four European Countries," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-111, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Rupert Harrison & Jordi Jaumandreu & Jacques Mairesse & Bettina Peters, 2008. "Does Innovation Stimulate Employment? A Firm-Level Analysis Using Comparable Micro-Data from Four European Countries," NBER Working Papers 14216, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dolado, Juan J. & Garcia-Serrano, Carlos & Jimeno, Juan F, 2001.
"Drawing Lessons From the Boom of Temporary Jobs in Spain,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2884, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Juan J Dolado & Carlos Garcia--Serrano & Juan F. Jimeno, 2002. "Drawing Lessons From The Boom Of Temporary Jobs In Spain," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(721), pages F270-F295, June.
- Jose Miguel Benavente & Rodolfo Lauterbach, 2008.
"Technological innovation and employment: complements or substitutes?,"
The European Journal of Development Research,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 20(2), pages 318-329.
- José Miguel Benavente & Rodolfo Lauterbach, 2006. "Technological Innovation and Employment: Complements or Substitutes," Working Papers wp221, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Jose Galdon-Sanchez & Maia Guell, 2000. "Let's go to court! Firing costs and dismissal conflicts," Working Papers 823, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:ecinnt:v:21:y:2012:i:8:p:801-813. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.