Removal of an investment restriction: the 'B' share experience from China's stock markets
This paper investigates the impact of CSRC allowing domestic residents to invest in the B-share stock market. An ARJI model is used to analyse the jump dynamics process during the pre- and post-event periods and impulse response functions are employed to demonstrate the volatility transmissions between the A- and B-share markets. Results indicate that the jump intensity and the jump frequency of Shanghai and Shenzhen stock markets increases. Moreover, the volatility transmissions between A- and B-share markets accelerates. It is therefore concluded that the CSRC, by permitting domestic residents to invest in B shares, will impact the A- and B-share stock markets.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 15 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Belton Fleisher & Dongwei Su, 1996.
"Risk, Return and Regulation in Chinese Stock Markets,"
005, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Su, Dongwei & Fleisher, Belton M., 1998. "Risk, Return and Regulation in Chinese Stock Markets," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 239-256, May.
- repec:bla:jfnres:v:24:y:2001:i:1:p:133-155 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fung, Hung-Gay & Lee, Wai & Leung, Wai Kin, 2000. "Segmentation of the A- and B-Share Chinese Equity Markets," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 23(2), pages 179-95, Summer.
- Chui, Andy C W & Kwok, Chuck C Y, 1998. "Cross-Autocorrelation between A Shares and B Shares in the Chinese Stock Market," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 21(3), pages 333-53, Fall.
- Robert Brooks & Vanitha Ragunathan, 2003. "Returns and volatility on the Chinese stock markets," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(10), pages 747-752.
- Sun, Qian & Tong, Wilson H. S., 2000. "The effect of market segmentation on stock prices: The China syndrome," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(12), pages 1875-1902, December.
- Belton Fleisher & Dongwei Su, 1998.
"Why Does Return Volatility Differ in Chinese Stock Markets?,"
98-03, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Su, Dongwei & Fleisher, Belton M., 1999. "Why does return volatility differ in Chinese stock markets?," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 557-586, December.
- Froot, Kenneth A. & O'Connell, Paul G. J. & Seasholes, Mark S., 2001.
"The portfolio flows of international investors,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 151-193, February.
- Bailey, Warren & Chung, Y. Peter & Kang, Jun-koo, 1999. "Foreign Ownership Restrictions and Equity Price Premiums: What Drives the Demand for Cross-Border Investments?," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(04), pages 489-511, December.
- Chan, Wing H & Maheu, John M, 2002. "Conditional Jump Dynamics in Stock Market Returns," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 377-89, July.
- Bailey, Warren & Jagtiani, Julapa, 1994. "Foreign ownership restrictions and stock prices in the Thai capital market," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 57-87, August.
- Chen, G M & Lee, Bong-Soo & Rui, Oliver, 2001. "Foreign Ownership Restrictions and Market Segmentation in China's Stock Markets," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 24(1), pages 133-55, Spring.
- Domowitz, Ian & Glen, Jack & Madhavan, Ananth, 1997. " Market Segmentation and Stock Prices: Evidence from an Emerging Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(3), pages 1059-85, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfiec:v:15:y:2005:i:4:p:273-285. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.