Removal of an investment restriction: the 'B' share experience from China's stock markets
This paper investigates the impact of CSRC allowing domestic residents to invest in the B-share stock market. An ARJI model is used to analyse the jump dynamics process during the pre- and post-event periods and impulse response functions are employed to demonstrate the volatility transmissions between the A- and B-share markets. Results indicate that the jump intensity and the jump frequency of Shanghai and Shenzhen stock markets increases. Moreover, the volatility transmissions between A- and B-share markets accelerates. It is therefore concluded that the CSRC, by permitting domestic residents to invest in B shares, will impact the A- and B-share stock markets.
Volume (Year): 15 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sun, Qian & Tong, Wilson H. S., 2000. "The effect of market segmentation on stock prices: The China syndrome," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(12), pages 1875-1902, December.
- Froot, Kenneth A. & O'Connell, Paul G. J. & Seasholes, Mark S., 2001.
"The portfolio flows of international investors,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 151-193, February.
- Chan, Wing H & Maheu, John M, 2002. "Conditional Jump Dynamics in Stock Market Returns," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 377-389, July.
- Chen, G M & Lee, Bong-Soo & Rui, Oliver, 2001. "Foreign Ownership Restrictions and Market Segmentation in China's Stock Markets," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 24(1), pages 133-155, Spring.
- Su, Dongwei & Fleisher, Belton M., 1998.
"Risk, Return and Regulation in Chinese Stock Markets,"
Journal of Economics and Business,
Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 239-256, May.
- Belton Fleisher & Dongwei Su, 1996. "Risk, Return and Regulation in Chinese Stock Markets," Working Papers 005, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Belton Fleisher & Dongwei Su, 1998.
"Why Does Return Volatility Differ in Chinese Stock Markets?,"
98-03, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Su, Dongwei & Fleisher, Belton M., 1999. "Why does return volatility differ in Chinese stock markets?," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 557-586, December.
- Domowitz, Ian & Glen, Jack & Madhavan, Ananth, 1997. " Market Segmentation and Stock Prices: Evidence from an Emerging Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(3), pages 1059-1085, July.
- Chui, Andy C W & Kwok, Chuck C Y, 1998. "Cross-Autocorrelation between A Shares and B Shares in the Chinese Stock Market," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 21(3), pages 333-353, Fall.
- Fung, Hung-Gay & Lee, Wai & Leung, Wai Kin, 2000. "Segmentation of the A- and B-Share Chinese Equity Markets," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 23(2), pages 179-195, Summer.
- Robert Brooks & Vanitha Ragunathan, 2003. "Returns and volatility on the Chinese stock markets," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(10), pages 747-752.
- repec:bla:jfnres:v:24:y:2001:i:1:p:133-155 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bailey, Warren & Jagtiani, Julapa, 1994. "Foreign ownership restrictions and stock prices in the Thai capital market," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 57-87, August.
- Bailey, Warren & Chung, Y. Peter & Kang, Jun-koo, 1999. "Foreign Ownership Restrictions and Equity Price Premiums: What Drives the Demand for Cross-Border Investments?," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(04), pages 489-511, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfiec:v:15:y:2005:i:4:p:273-285. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.