Interest rate pass-through and financial crises: do switching regimes matter? the case of Argentina
The dynamic relationship between a money market (interbank) rate and different short-term lending rates is analysed by measuring the pass-through process between these rates in the Argentinean banking system. Neither linear single-equation modelling nor linear multi-equation systems capture efficiently this relationship. The presence of several episodes of financial crises alters the speed and degree of response to shocks in the interbank rate. Thus, a Markov switching VAR model shows that under normal financial conditions short-run stickiness is higher for those rates on loans with higher credit risk. But it also shows that when there is a high-volatility scenario, the pass-through increases considerably for all interest rates. The MSIAH(2)-VAR(1) identifies correctly periods of financial distress (in which regime switch occurs).
Volume (Year): 15 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard H. Clarida & Lucio Sarno & Mark P. Taylor & Giorgio Valente, 2006.
"The Role of Asymmetries and Regime Shifts in the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(3), pages 1193-1224, May.
- Clarida, Richard & Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P & Valente, Giorgio, 2005. "The Role of Asymmetries and Regime Shifts in the Term Structure of Interest Rates," CEPR Discussion Papers 4835, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giorgio Valente & Mark Taylor & Lucio Sarno & Richard Clarida, 2004. "The Role of Asymmetries and Regime Shifts in the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Working Papers wp04-13, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Mojon, Benoît, 2000. "Financial structure and the interest rate channel of ECB monetary policy," Working Paper Series 0040, European Central Bank.
- Charles S. Morris & Gordon H. Sellon, Jr., 1995. "Bank lending and monetary policy: evidence on a credit channel," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q II, pages 59-75.
- Nelson, Charles R & Piger, Jeremy & Zivot, Eric, 2001.
"Markov Regime Switching and Unit-Root Tests,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 19(4), pages 404-15, October.
- Charles R. Nelson & Jeremy Piger & Eric Zivot, 2000. "Markov regime-switching and unit root tests," International Finance Discussion Papers 683, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Charles Nelson & Eric Zivot & Jeremy M. Piger, 2001. "Markov regime switching and unit root tests," Working Papers 2001-013, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Alessandro Rebucci & Marco A Espinosa-Vega, 2003.
"Retail Bank Interest Rate Pass-Through; Is Chile Atypical?,"
IMF Working Papers
03/112, International Monetary Fund.
- Marco A. Espinosa-Vega & Alessandro Rebucci, 2004. "Retail Bank Interest Rate Pass-through: Is Chile Atypical?," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Luis Antonio Ahumada & J. Rodrigo Fuentes & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Se (ed.), Banking Market Structure and Monetary Policy, edition 1, volume 7, chapter 5, pages 147-182 Central Bank of Chile.
- Marco A. Espinosa-Vega & Alessandro Rebucci, 2003. "Retail Bank Interest Rate Pass-Through: Is Chile Atypical?," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 221, Central Bank of Chile.
- Corvoisier, Sandrine & Gropp, Reint, 2001.
"Bank Concentration and Retail Interest Rates,"
Working Paper Series
0072, European Central Bank.
- L. de Haan, 2001.
"The Credit Channel in the Netherlands: Evidence from Bank Balance Sheets,"
WO Research Memoranda (discontinued)
674, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- de Haan, Leo, 2001. "The credit channel in the Netherlands: evidence from bank balance sheets," Working Paper Series 0098, European Central Bank.
- Allen N. Berger & Timothy H. Hannan, 1987.
"The price-concentration relationship in banking,"
Research Papers in Banking and Financial Economics
100, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Romulo Chumacero, 2001.
"Testing For Unit Roots Using Economics,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2001
2, Society for Computational Economics.
- Erlandsson, Ulf, 2002. "Regime Switches in Swedish Interest Rates," Working Papers 2002:5, Lund University, Department of Economics, revised 26 Aug 2003.
- de Bondt, Gabe, 2002. "Retail bank interest rate pass-through: new evidence at the euro area level," Working Paper Series 0136, European Central Bank.
- Ehrmann, Michael & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Martinéz Pagés, Jorge & Sevestre, Patrick & Worms, Andreas, 2001.
"Financial systems and the role of banks in monetary policy transmission in the euro area,"
Working Paper Series
0105, European Central Bank.
- Michael Ehrmann & Leonardo Gambacorta & Jorge Martínez-Pagés & Patrick Sevestre & Andreas Worms, 2001. "Financial Systems and the Role of Banks in Monetary Policy Transmission in the Euro Area," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0118, Banco de Espa�a.
- Michael Ehrmann & Leonardo Gambacorta & Jorge Martï¿½nez-Pagï¿½s & Patrick Sevestre & Andreas Worms, 2001. "Fynancial Systems and the Role of Banks in Monetary Policy Transmission in the Euro area," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 432, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Sevestre, Patrick & Martinez-Pages, Jorge & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Ehrmann, Michael & Worms, Andreas, 2001. "Financial systems and the role of banks in monetary policy transmission in the euro area," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2001,18, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- S. Illeris & G. Akehurst, 2001. "Introduction," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 1-4, January.
- Andrew Ang & Geert Bekaert, 1998.
"Regime Switches in Interest Rates,"
NBER Working Papers
6508, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bean, Charles & Larsen, Jens D. J. & Nikolov, Kalin, 2002. "Financial frictions and the monetary transmission mechanism: theory, evidence and policy implications," Working Paper Series 0113, European Central Bank.
- Dahlquist, Magnus & Gray, Stephen F., 2000. "Regime-switching and interest rates in the European monetary system," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 399-419, April.
- Kamin, Steven B. & Ericsson, Neil R., 2003. "Dollarization in post-hyperinflationary Argentina," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 185-211, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfiec:v:15:y:2005:i:2:p:77-94. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.