From Policy Rates to Bank Lending Rates: The Chilean Banking Industry
Many authors have studied the flexibility of bank interest rates in different countries. In this paper we show some evidence for the Chilean banking industry, concluding that there is some sluggishness in the adjustment of banks’ lending rates to changes in the policy rate. However, Chile is among the countries with the most flexible interest rates. On the basis of individual bank data and a theoretical model, we identified some bank characteristics that might affect the degree of stickiness. Stylized facts and estimation results suggest that larger banks with a smaller portion of past-due loans and a higher percentage of household loans adjust faster to policy rate movements.
Volume (Year): 6 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duguay, Pierre, 1994. "Empirical evidence on the strength of the monetary transmission mechanism in Canada: An aggregate approach," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 39-61, February.
- Anderson, T. W. & Hsiao, Cheng, 1982. "Formulation and estimation of dynamic models using panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 47-82, January.
- Judson, Ruth A. & Owen, Ann L., 1999. "Estimating dynamic panel data models: a guide for macroeconomists," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 9-15, October.
- Julio J. Rotemberg & Garth Saloner, 1986.
"The Relative Rigidity of Monopoly Pricing,"
NBER Working Papers
1943, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brian Sack & Volker Wieland, 1999.
"Interest-rate smoothing and optimal monetary policy: a review of recent empirical evidence,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1999-39, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sack, Brian & Wieland, Volker, 2000. "Interest-rate smoothing and optimal monetary policy: a review of recent empirical evidence," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 205-228.
- Mojon, Benoît, 2000. "Financial structure and the interest rate channel of ECB monetary policy," Working Paper Series 0040, European Central Bank.
- Corvoisier, Sandrine & Gropp, Reint, 2002.
"Bank concentration and retail interest rates,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(11), pages 2155-2189, November.
- Nickell, Stephen, 1985. "Error Correction, Partial Adjustment and All That: An Expository Note," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 47(2), pages 119-29, May.
- Angeliki Kourelis & Carlo Cottarelli, 1994. "Financial Structure, Bank Lending Rates, and the Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Policy," IMF Working Papers 94/39, International Monetary Fund.
- Allen N. Berger & Timothy H. Hannan, 1988.
"The price-concentration relationship in banking,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
23, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & Timothy H. Hannan, 1987. "The price-concentration relationship in banking," Research Papers in Banking and Financial Economics 100, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Xavier Freixas & Jean-Charles Rochet, 1997. "Microeconomics of Banking," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061937, June.
- Arellano, M. & Honore, B., 2000.
"Panel Data Models: Some Recent Developments,"
0016, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Giovanni Ferri & Carlo Cottarelli & Andrea Generale, 1995.
"Bank Lending Rates and Financial Structure in Italy; A Case Study,"
IMF Working Papers
95/38, International Monetary Fund.
- Carlo Cottarelli & Giovanni Ferri & Andrea Generale, 1995. "Bank Lending Rates and Financial Structure in Italy: A Case Study," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 42(3), pages 670-700, September.
- Bagliano, Fabio C. & Dalmazzo, Alberto & Marini, Giancarlo, 2000. "Bank competition and ECB's monetary policy," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 967-983, June.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Smith, R., 1992.
"Estimating Long-Run Relationships From Dynamic Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9215, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Smith, Ron, 1995. "Estimating long-run relationships from dynamic heterogeneous panels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 79-113, July.
- Bakhtiar Moazzami, 1999. "Lending rate stickiness and monetary transmission mechanism: the case of Canada and the United States," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(6), pages 533-538.
- Hannan, Timothy H & Berger, Allen N, 1991. "The Rigidity of Prices: Evidence from the Banking Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 938-45, September.
- Peter Winker, 1999. "Sluggish adjustment of interest rates and credit rationing: an application of unit root testing and error correction modelling," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(3), pages 267-277.
- Carlo Cottarelli & Angeliki Kourelis, 1994. "Financial Structure, Bank Lending Rates, and the Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Policy," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 41(4), pages 587-623, December.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchec:v:6:y:2003:i:1:p:49-67. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.