Interest Rate Setting and the Colombian Monetary Transmission Mechanism
This paper is concerned with interest rate setting by commercialbanks and how the transmission of monetary policy is reflectedin these rates. For this purpose we study the case of theColombian banking industry for the period 1996-2004. Usingmicrodata, the Certificate of Deposit (CD) market and the creditmarket are studied for a balanced panel of 21 and 16 banks,respectively. Overcoming some of the empirical dificultiespresented in other studies, this paper performs panel unit roottests and panel cointegration tests. The results suggest that thetransmission of the policy rate to the CD rate and the credit rateis on average high and quick. Additionally, rates react strongly to inflation shocks,specially credit rates. Finally, the evidence presented shows the importance ofbanks’ characteristics and inflation as long-run drivers of interest rates.
Volume (Year): 24 (2006)
Issue (Month): 50 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raquel Bernal, 2002.
"Monetary Policy Rules In Colombia,"
003251, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Hannan, Timothy H & Berger, Allen N, 1991. "The Rigidity of Prices: Evidence from the Banking Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 938-45, September.
- Esteban Gómez & Diego Vásquez & Camilo Zea, 2005.
"Derivative Markets' Impact On Colombian Monetary Policy,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
002277, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Esteban Gómez & Diego Vásquez & Camilo Zea, . "Derivative Markets' Impact on Colombian Monetary Policy," Borradores de Economia 334, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. " A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-52, Special I.
- Leonardo Gambacorta, 2005.
"How Do Banks Set Interest Rates?,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
542, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Solange Berstein & Rodrigo Fuentes, 2003.
"Is There Lending Rate Stickiness in the Chilean Banking Industry?,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
218, Central Bank of Chile.
- Solange Berstein & J. Rodrigo Fuentes, 2004. "Is There Lendign Rate Stickiness in the Chilean Banking Industry?," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Luis Antonio Ahumada & J. Rodrigo Fuentes & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Se (ed.), Banking Market Structure and Monetary Policy, edition 1, volume 7, chapter 6, pages 183-210 Central Bank of Chile.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Larsson, Rolf & Lyhagen, Johan & Löthgren, Mickael, 1998.
"Likelihood-Based Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
250, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 27 Aug 1998.
- Rolf Larsson & Johan Lyhagen & Mickael Lothgren, 2001. "Likelihood-based cointegration tests in heterogeneous panels," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 4(1), pages 41.
- Angeliki Kourelis & Carlo Cottarelli, 1994. "Financial Structure, Bank Lending Rates, and the Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Policy," IMF Working Papers 94/39, International Monetary Fund.
- Adolfo Barajas & Roberto Steiner & Natalia Salazar, 1999. "Interest Spreads in Banking in Colombia, 1974-96," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 46(2), pages 4.
- Juan Manuel Julio, .
"Relación entre la Tasa de Intervención del Banco de la República y las Tasas del Mercado: Una Exploración Empírica,"
Borradores de Economia
188, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Juan Manuel Julio, 2001. "Relación entre la Tasa de Intervención del Banco de la República y las Tasas del Mercado :Una Exploración Empírica," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003450, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Dairo Estrada, . "Efectos de las fusiones sobre el mercado financiero colombiano," Borradores de Economia 329, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Marco A. Espinosa-Vega & Alessandro Rebucci, 2003.
"Retail Bank Interest Rate Pass-Through: Is Chile Atypical?,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
221, Central Bank of Chile.
- Marco A. Espinosa-Vega & Alessandro Rebucci, 2004. "Retail Bank Interest Rate Pass-through: Is Chile Atypical?," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Luis Antonio Ahumada & J. Rodrigo Fuentes & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Se (ed.), Banking Market Structure and Monetary Policy, edition 1, volume 7, chapter 5, pages 147-182 Central Bank of Chile.
- Alessandro Rebucci & Marco A Espinosa-Vega, 2003. "Retail Bank Interest Rate Pass-Through; Is Chile Atypical?," IMF Working Papers 03/112, International Monetary Fund.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Carlo Cottarelli & Angeliki Kourelis, 1994. "Financial Structure, Bank Lending Rates, and the Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Policy," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 41(4), pages 587-623, December.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000107:002911. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Espe)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.