Interest Rate Setting and the Colombian Monetary Transmission Mechanism
This paper is concerned with interest rate setting by commercial banks and how the transmission of monetary policy is re°ected in these rates. For this purpose we study the case of the Colombian banking industry for the period 1996-2004. Using microdata, the Certi¯cate of Deposit(CD) market and the credit market are studied for a balanced panel of 21 and 16 banks, respectively. The paper motivates the discussion with a theoretical model that explains how banks set their interest rates and how these are a®ected by the policy rate. Overcoming some of the empirical di±culties presented in other studies, this paper deals with them by performing panel unit root tests and panel cointegration tests. The results suggest that the transmission of the policy rate to the CD rate and the credit rate is on average high and quick. Additionally, rates react strongly to in°ation shocks, specially credit rates. Finally, the evidence presented shows the importance of banks' characteristics and in°ation as long-run drivers of interest rates.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (57-1) 3431111
Fax: (57-1) 2841686
Web page: http://www.banrep.org/publicaciones/pub_borra.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernal Raquel, 2003.
"Monetary Policy Rules in Colombia,"
REVISTA DESARROLLO Y SOCIEDAD,
UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Leonardo Gambacorta, 2004.
"How Do Banks Set Interest Rates?,"
NBER Working Papers
10295, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. " A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-52, Special I.
- Dairo Estrada & Poldy Osorio, .
"Effects of Financial Capital on Colombian Banking Efficiency,"
Borradores de Economia
292, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Dairo Estrada & Poldy Osorio, . "Effects of Financial Capital on Colombian Banking Efficiency," Borradores de Economia 291, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Larsson, Rolf & Lyhagen, Johan & Löthgren, Mickael, 1998.
"Likelihood-Based Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
250, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 27 Aug 1998.
- Rolf Larsson & Johan Lyhagen & Mickael Lothgren, 2001. "Likelihood-based cointegration tests in heterogeneous panels," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 4(1), pages 41.
- Xavier Freixas & Jean-Charles Rochet, 1997. "Microeconomics of Banking," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061937, June.
- Marco A. Espinosa-Vega & Alessandro Rebucci, 2004.
"Retail Bank Interest Rate Pass-through: Is Chile Atypical?,"
Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series,
in: Luis Antonio Ahumada & J. Rodrigo Fuentes & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Se (ed.), Banking Market Structure and Monetary Policy, edition 1, volume 7, chapter 5, pages 147-182
Central Bank of Chile.
- Marco A. Espinosa-Vega & Alessandro Rebucci, 2003. "Retail Bank Interest Rate Pass-Through: Is Chile Atypical?," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 221, Central Bank of Chile.
- Alessandro Rebucci & Marco A Espinosa-Vega, 2003. "Retail Bank Interest Rate Pass-Through; Is Chile Atypical?," IMF Working Papers 03/112, International Monetary Fund.
- Solange Berstein & Rodrigo Fuentes, 2003.
"Is There Lending Rate Stickiness in the Chilean Banking Industry?,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
218, Central Bank of Chile.
- Solange Berstein & J. Rodrigo Fuentes, 2004. "Is There Lendign Rate Stickiness in the Chilean Banking Industry?," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Luis Antonio Ahumada & J. Rodrigo Fuentes & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Se (ed.), Banking Market Structure and Monetary Policy, edition 1, volume 7, chapter 6, pages 183-210 Central Bank of Chile.
- Hannan, Timothy H & Berger, Allen N, 1991. "The Rigidity of Prices: Evidence from the Banking Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 938-45, September.
- Esteban Gómez & Diego Vásquez & Camilo Zea, 2005.
"Derivative Markets' Impact On Colombian Monetary Policy,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
002277, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Esteban Gómez & Diego Vásquez & Camilo Zea, . "Derivative Markets' Impact on Colombian Monetary Policy," Borradores de Economia 334, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Dairo Estrada, . "Efectos de las fusiones sobre el mercado financiero colombiano," Borradores de Economia 329, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Mojon, Benoît, 2000. "Financial structure and the interest rate channel of ECB monetary policy," Working Paper Series 0040, European Central Bank.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdr:borrec:352. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Clorith Angélica Bahos Olivera)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.