Effects of trade liberalization on domestic prices: Some evidence from Tunisian manufacturing
This paper presents estimates of the competitive effects of trade liberalization on domestic pricing behaviour of Tunisian manufacturing industries. The theoretical framework is based on a dynamic flexible adjustment model of price determination in a small open economy. It investigates the process of adjustment in price level toward a desired level. The adjustment process is both industrial and time-specific. The empirical results show that, in the long run, domestic price responds greatly to import penetration, followed by demand pressure. There was a negative effect from import competition on domestic price. Trade policy is a viable policy option to promote competitiveness.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 54 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Web page: http://www.heirs.it/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/policy/journal/12232/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Levinsohn, James, 1993.
"Testing the imports-as-market-discipline hypothesis,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 35(1-2), pages 1-22, August.
- James Levinsohn, 1991. "Testing the Imports-as-Market-Discipline Hypothesis," NBER Working Papers 3657, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Levinsohn, J., 1991. "Testing the Imports-As-Market-Discipline Hypothesis," Working Papers 272, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Eli Bekman & John Bound & Stephen Machin, 1998.
"Implications of Skill-Biased Technological Change: International Evidence,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 113(4), pages 1245-1279.
- E. Berman & J. Bound & S. Machin, 1997. "Implications of skill-biased technological change: international evidence," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20314, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Eli Berman & John Bound & Stephen Machin, 1997. "Implications of Skill-Biased Technological Change: International Evidence," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 78, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Eli Berman & John Bound & Stephen Machin, 1997. "Implications of Skill-Biased Technological Change: International Evidence," NBER Working Papers 6166, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berman, E. & Bound, J. & Machin, S., 1997. "Implications of Skill-Biased Technological Change: International Evidence," Papers 25, Centre for Economic Performance & Institute of Economics.
- E Berman & J Bound & Stephen Machin, 1997. "Implications of Skill-Biased Technological Change: International Evidence," CEP Discussion Papers dp0367, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Berman, Eli & Bound, John & Machin, Stephen, 1997. "Implications of Skill-Biased Technological Change: International Evidence," Working Paper Series 486, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Luca Papi & Alberto Zazzaro, 2000.
"How Does the EU Agenda Influence Economies outside the EU? The Case of Tunisia,"
Development Working Papers
148, Centro Studi Luca d'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Luca PAPI & Alberto ZAZZARO, 2000. "How Does the EU Agenda Influence Economies Outside the EU? The Case of Tunisia," Working Papers 135, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Domberger, Simon, 1979. "Price Adjustment and Market Structure," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(353), pages 96-108, March.
- Yang, Yung Y & Hwang, Min, 1994. "Price Behavior in Korean Manufacturing," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(3), pages 461-70, August.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Griffin, James M., 1997. "Pooled estimators vs. their heterogeneous counterparts in the context of dynamic demand for gasoline," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 303-327, April.
- Domberger, Simon, 1981. "Price Adjustment and Market Structure: A Reply," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 91(364), pages 1031-35, December.
- Pissarides, Christopher A, 1997. "Learning by Trading and the Returns to Human Capital in Developing Countries," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 11(1), pages 17-32, January.
- Kardasz, Stanley W. & Stollery, Kenneth R., 1988. "Market structure and price adjustment in Canadian manufacturing industries," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 335-342, November.
- Masso, Jaan & Heshmati, Almas, 2003.
"The Optimality and Overuse of Labour in Estonian Manufacturing Enterprises,"
IZA Discussion Papers
884, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jaan Masso & Almas Heshmati, 2004. "The optimality and overuse of labour in Estonian manufacturing enterprises," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 12(4), pages 683-720, December.
- Jaan Masso & Almas Heshmati, 2003. "The Optimality And Overuse Of Labour In Estonian Manufacturing Enterprises," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 20, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Khalid Sekkat, 1996. "Regional integration among the Maghreb countries and free trade with the European union: a challenge for both sides of the mediterranean," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7332, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- David O’Connor & Maria Rosa Lunati, 1999. "Economic Opening and the Demand for Skills in Developing Countries: A Review of Theory and Evidence," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 149, OECD Publishing.
- Claudia Goldin & Lawrence F. Katz, 1996.
"The Origins of Technology-Skill Complementarity,"
NBER Working Papers
5657, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Judson, Ruth A. & Owen, Ann L., 1999. "Estimating dynamic panel data models: a guide for macroeconomists," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 9-15, October.
- Jozef M. Brabant, 1988. "Production Specialization in the CMEA - Concepts and Empirical Evidence," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(3), pages 287-315, 03.
- Harrison, Ann E., 1990. "Productivity, imperfect competition, and trade liberalization in Cote d'Ivoire," Policy Research Working Paper Series 451, The World Bank.
- Corbo, Vittorio & McNelis, Paul D, 1989. "The Pricing of Manufactured Goods during Trade Liberalization: Evidence from Chile, Israel, and Korea," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(3), pages 491-99, August.
- Chambers,Robert G., 1988. "Applied Production Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521314275, Junio.
- Heshmati, Almas, 2001. "The Dynamics of Capital Structure: Evidence from Swedish Micro and Small Firms," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 0440, Stockholm School of Economics.
- David Encaoua, 1983. "Dynamique des prix et structure industrielle : Une analyse théorique et économétrique," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 10, OECD Publishing.
- Oleg Bogomolov, 1987. "The Socialist Countries at a Critical Stage in World Economic Development," Problems of Economic Transition, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 30(8), pages 38-54, December.
- Yang, Yung Y. & Hwang, Min, 2001. "The pricing behavior of Korean manufactured goods during trade liberalization," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 357-369, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:inrvec:v:54:y:2007:i:1:p:148-175. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.