R&D spillovers and information exchange: a case study
R&D spillovers can be viewed to arise as a result of a voluntary information exchange between firms. In this paper we extend this theory of R&D spillovers to a context where the spillover effect is on R&D dollars and occurs in a vertical relationship. We show how the exchange of information is more likely to take place in industries with a more extensive product differentiation. Our model predicts that the maximum incentives to exchange information can be found from the vertically related industries. Finally, we present a historical case study on an information-exchange agreement between Micronas and Micro Power Systems so as to support the predictions of the model. Copyright Eurasia Business and Economics Society 2015
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 5 (2015)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Phone: 90 (212) 220 54 51
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/40822|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michele Cincera & Claudio Cozza & Alexander Tübke, 2014.
"Main drivers for local and global R&D sourcing of European Multinational Enterprises,"
Eurasian Business Review,
Springer;Eurasia Business and Economics Society, vol. 4(2), pages 227-245, December.
- Michele Cincera & Claudio Cozza & Alexander A. Tübke, 2014. "Main drivers for local and global R&D sourcing of European Multinational Enterprises," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/259416, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Gamal Atallah, 2002. "Vertical R&D Spillovers, Cooperation, Market Structure, and Innovation," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 179-209.
- Atallah, G., 2000. "Vertical R&D Sprillovers, Cooperation, Market Structure, and Innovation," Cahiers de recherche 2000-16, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- ATALLAH, Gamal, 2000. "Vertical R&D Sprillovers, Cooperation, Market Structure, and Innovation," Cahiers de recherche 2000-16, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Gamal Atallah, 2000. "Vertical R&D Spillovers, Cooperation, Market Structure, And Innovation," Industrial Organization 0004009, EconWPA.
- Gamal Atallah, 2000. "Vertical R&D Spillovers, Cooperation, Market Structure, and Innovation," CIRANO Working Papers 2000s-54, CIRANO.
- Ishii, Akira, 2004. "Cooperative R&D between vertically related firms with spillovers," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(8-9), pages 1213-1235, November.
- Kultti, Klaus & Takalo, Tuomas, 2002. "Hold-Ups and Asymmetric Information in a Technology Transfer: The Micronas Case," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 233-243, June.
- Dirk Czarnitzki & Kornelius Kraft, 2012. "Spillovers of innovation activities and their profitability," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 64(2), pages 302-322, April.
- Czarnitzki, Dirk & Kraft, Kornelius, 2007. "Spillovers of Innovation Activities and Their Profitability," ZEW Discussion Papers 07-073, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Francesco Bogliacino & Giuditta Prato & Daniel Nepelski, 2013. "Ownership Structure and R&D Orientation in ICT Groups," Eurasian Business Review, Springer;Eurasia Business and Economics Society, vol. 3(2), pages 164-178, December.
- Abiru, Masahiro & Nahata, Babu & Raychaudhuri, Subhashis & Waterson, Michael, 1998. "Equilibrium structures in vertical oligopoly," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 463-480, December.
- Masahiro Abiru & Babu Nahata & Subhashis Raychaudhuri & Michael Waterson, 2003. "Equilibrium structures in vertical oligopoly," General Economics and Teaching 0306010, EconWPA.
- Alberto Galasso, 2012. "Broad Cross-License Negotiations," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(4), pages 873-911, December.
- Nagaoka, Sadao & Kwon, Hyeog Ug, 2006. "The incidence of cross-licensing: A theory and new evidence on the firm and contract level determinants," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 1347-1361, November.
- Antoine Dechezleprêtre & Ralf Martin & Myra Mohnen, 2014. "Knowledge Spillovers from Clean and Dirty Technologies," CEP Discussion Papers dp1300, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Dechezlepretre, Antoine & Martin, Ralf & Mohnen, Myra, 2014. "Knowledge spillovers from clean and dirty technologies," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 60501, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Tuomas Takalo & Klaus Kultti, 1999. "Incomplete Contracting in Research Joint Ventures: a Case Study," Homo Oeconomicus, Institute of SocioEconomics, vol. 15, pages 341-367.
- Pisano, Gary P., 1991. "The governance of innovation: Vertical integration and collaborative arrangements in the biotechnology industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 237-249, June.
- Banerjee, Samiran & Lin, Ping, 2001. "Vertical research joint ventures," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 285-302, January.
- Rabah Amir & John Wooders, 1999. "Effects of One-Way Spillovers on Market Shares, Industry Price, Welfare, and R & D Cooperation," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(2), pages 223-249, June.
- Rabah Amir & John Wooders, 1998. "Effects of One-way Spillovers on Market Shares, Industry Price, Welfare, and R&D Cooperation," CIE Discussion Papers 1998-09, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Ruff, Larry E., 1969. "Research and technological progress in a cournot economy," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 397-415, December.
- Spence, Michael, 1984. "Cost Reduction, Competition, and Industry Performance," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(1), pages 101-121, January.
- Kamien, Morton I. & Zang, Israel, 2000. "Meet me halfway: research joint ventures and absorptive capacity," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(7), pages 995-1012, October.
- Koji Okuguchi, 2012. "General Analysis of Cournot Mixed Oligopoly with Partial Privatization," Eurasian Economic Review, Springer;Eurasia Business and Economics Society, vol. 2(1), pages 48-62, June.
- Hyuna Kim & Sun-Young Park, 2012. "The Relation between Cash Holdings and R&D Expenditures According to Ownership Structure," Eurasian Business Review, Springer;Eurasia Business and Economics Society, vol. 2(2), pages 25-42, December.
- Kultti, Klaus & Takalo, Tuomas, 1998. "R&D spillovers and information exchange," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 121-123, October.
- Luigi Aldieri, 2011. "Technological and geographical proximity effects on knowledge spillovers: evidence from the US patent citations," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(6), pages 597-607, January.
- Katsoulacos, Yannis & Ulph, David, 1998. "Endogenous Spillovers and the Performance of Research Joint Ventures," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 333-357, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:eurase:v:5:y:2015:i:1:p:63-76. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.