Economic impacts of solar thermal electricity technology deployment on Andalusian productive activities: a CGE approach
Solar thermal electricity is a type of renewable energy technology of special interest for Andalusia (southern Spain) because of the large number of annual sunshine hours. This paper estimates the impact on productive activities of increasing the production capacity of the installed solar thermal plants in Andalusia. Using a computable general equilibrium (CGE) approach, estimates of the changes in the economic sectors’ activity under two different scenarios are obtained: i) based on two types of solar thermal electricity plants currently in operation and ii) based on an increase from 11 MW in 2007 to 800 MW installed capacity by 2013 to comply with the ‘Plan Andaluz de Sostenibilidad Energética (PASENER)—Sustainable Energy Plan for Andalusia’. For the case of a parabolic trough solar collector power plant, results show that compliance with the PASENER goal would increase the level of the productive activities by around 30%. For the alternative technology—a solar tower power plant—results show that activities would increase by around 5% for 30 years, the estimated lifetime of this type of plant. Thus, the impact of the solar thermal electricity plants on the productive activities of the PASENER compliant production goal would be remarkable. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2013
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 50 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00168/index.htm|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kulisic, Biljana & Loizou, Efstratios & Rozakis, Stelios & Segon, Velimir, 2007. "Impacts of biodiesel production on Croatian economy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 6036-6045, December.
- De Miguel Vélez, F.J. & Manresa Sánchez, A., 2004. "Modelos SAM lineales y distribución de renta: una aplicación para la economía extremeña," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 22, pages 1-22, Diciembre.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521266550 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521319867 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:rer:articu:v:03:y:1998:p:137-153 is not listed on IDEAS
- Arndt, Channing & Benfica, Rui M.S. & Tarp, Finn & Thurlow, James & Uaiene, Rafael N., 2008.
"Biofuels, Poverty, and Growth: A Computable General Equilibrium Analysis of Mozambique,"
2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China
52004, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Arndt, Channing & Benfica, Rui & Tarp, Finn & Thurlow, James & Uaiene, Rafael, 2010. "Biofuels, poverty, and growth: a computable general equilibrium analysis of Mozambique," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(01), pages 81-105, February.
- Arndt, Channing & Benfica, Rui & Tarp, Finn & Thurlow, James & Uaiene, Rafael, 2008. "Biofuels, poverty, and growth: A computable general equilibrium analysis of Mozambique," IFPRI discussion papers 803, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Polo, Clemente & Sancho, Ferran, 1993.
"An analysis of Spain's integration in the EEC,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 157-178, April.
- Reinhard Madlener & Martin Koller, 2006.
"Economic and CO2 mitigation impacts of promoting biomass heating systems: an input-output study for Vorarlberg, Austria,"
CEPE Working paper series
06-50, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Madlener, Reinhard & Koller, Martin, 2007. "Economic and CO2 mitigation impacts of promoting biomass heating systems: An input-output study for Vorarlberg, Austria," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 6021-6035, December.
- Pyatt, F Graham & Round, Jeffery I, 1979. "Accounting and Fixed Price Multipliers in a Social Accounting Matrix Framework," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(356), pages 850-73, December.
- Ciorba, Umberto & Pauli, Francesco & Menna, Pietro, 2004. "Technical and economical analysis of an induced demand in the photovoltaic sector," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 949-960, June.
- Sherman Robinson & Andrea Cattaneo & Moataz El-Said, 2001.
"Updating and Estimating a Social Accounting Matrix Using Cross Entropy Methods,"
Economic Systems Research,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 47-64.
- Robinson, Sherman & Cattaneo, Andrea & El-Said, Moataz, 2000. "Updating and estimating a Social Accounting Matrix using cross entropy methods," TMD discussion papers 58, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Melchor Fernández & Clemente Polo, 2000. "Una nueva matriz de contabilidad social para España: la SAM-90," Documentos de trabajo - Analise Economica 0011, IDEGA - Instituto Universitario de Estudios e Desenvolvemento de Galicia.
- Ezequiel Uriel Jiménez & Javier Ferri & María Luisa Moltó Carbonell, 2005. "Matriz De Contabilidad Social De 1995 Para España (Mcs-95)," Working Papers. Serie EC 2005-03, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Allan, Grant J. & Bryden, Ian & McGregor, Peter G. & Stallard, Tim & Kim Swales, J. & Turner, Karen & Wallace, Robin, 2008. "Concurrent and legacy economic and environmental impacts from establishing a marine energy sector in Scotland," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 2734-2753, July.
- Calds, N. & Varela, M. & Santamara, M. & Sez, R., 2009. "Economic impact of solar thermal electricity deployment in Spain," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1628-1636, May.
- M. Alejandro Cardenete & Ferran Sancho, 2002. "An Applied General Equilibrium Model to Assess the Impact of National Tax Changes on a Regional Economy," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2002/13, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Sanchez-Choliz, Julio & Duarte, Rosa & Mainar, Alfredo, 2007. "Environmental impact of household activity in Spain," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 308-318, April.
- Oswald, Andrew J, 1982. "The Microeconomic Theory of the Trade Union," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(367), pages 576-95, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:anresc:v:50:y:2013:i:1:p:25-47. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.