Effects of the Tax on Retail Sales of Some Fuels on a regional economy: a computable general equilibrium approach
This paper simulates the effects on the economy of Extremadura that are produced by a new tax on retail sales of some fuels. A computable general equilibrium model involving various labour market scenarios is employed as a modelling framework. Model parameters are obtained by calibration, using a social accounting matrix for Extremadura updated to the year 2000. Further, we also include an additional simulation in which a hypothetical regional tax rate, to finance environmental policies, is considered. This second simulation assumes constant fiscal revenues. The results of the first simulation show that the effects of this tax are modest. The simulation shows household welfare losses, decreasing activity levels and generalised price reductions, except in production sectors more directly linked to the oil products sector. In addition, we also observe that this hypothetical additional regional fuel tax rate would reinforce the effects produced by the national tax rate.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Carretera de Utrera km.1, 41013 Sevilla|
Phone: + 34 954 34 8913
Fax: + 34 954 34 9339
Web page: http://www.upo.es/econ/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xavier Labandeira Villot & Ángel López Nicolás, 2002.
"La imposición de los carburantes de automoción en España: Algunas observaciones teóricas y empíricas,"
Hacienda Pública Española,
IEF, vol. 160(1), pages 177-210, march.
- Xavier Labandeira Villot & Ángel López Nicolás, 2002. "La imposición de los carburantes de automoción en España: algunas observaciones teóricas y empíricas," Economics Working Papers 609, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Xavier Labandeira Villot & Ángel López Nicolás, 2002. "La imposición de los carburantes de automoción en España: algunas observaciones teóricas y empíricas," Working Papers, Research Center on Health and Economics 609, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Jose Cansino & M. Alejandro Cardenete & Rocio Roman, 2007. "Regional evaluation of a tax on the retail sales of certain fuels through a social accounting matrix," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(12), pages 877-880.
- Kehoe, Timothy J & Polo, Clemente & Sancho, Ferran, 1995.
"An Evaluation of the Performance of an Applied General Equilibrium Model of the Spanish Economy,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 6(1), pages 115-141, June.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & Clemente Polo & Ferran Sancho, 1994. "An evaluation of the performance of an applied general equilibrium model of the Spanish economy," Working Papers 480, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Jan van Heerden & Reyer Gerlagh & James Blignaut & Mark Horridge & Sebastiaan Hess & Ramos Mabugu & Margaret Mabugu, 2006. "Searching for Triple Dividends in South Africa: Fighting CO2 Pollution and Poverty while Promoting Growth," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 113-142.
- José Manuel Cansino & M. Alejandro Cardenete & Rocío Román Collado, 2004. "Evaluación regional del impuesto monofásico sobre las ventas minoristas de determinados hidrocarburos a través de matrices de contabilidad social," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/21, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Shoven,John B. & Whalley,John, 1992.
"Applying General Equilibrium,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521266550.
- Shoven,John B. & Whalley,John, 1992. "Applying General Equilibrium," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521319867.
- Sherman Robinson & Andrea Cattaneo & Moataz El-Said, 2001. "Updating and Estimating a Social Accounting Matrix Using Cross Entropy Methods," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 47-64.
- Robinson, Sherman & Cattaneo, Andrea & El-Said, Moataz, 2000. "Updating and estimating a Social Accounting Matrix using cross entropy methods," TMD discussion papers 58, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Oswald, Andrew J, 1982. "The Microeconomic Theory of the Trade Union," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(367), pages 576-595, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pab:wpaper:06.05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publicación Digital - UPO)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.