Are returns to private infrastructure in developing countries consistent with risks since the Asian crisis?
This paper presents a basic assessment of the financial performance of infrastructure service operators in developing countries. It relies on a new database of 120 companies put together to track the evolution of the cost of capital, the cost of equity and the return to equity for electricity, water and sanitation, railways and port operators in 31 developing countries distributed evenly across low-income, low-middle income and upper-middleincome countries. The paper shows that between 1998 and 2002, the average cost of capital in developing countries varied from less than 9% to over 15% across regions and sectors while the cost of equity varied from around 11% to over 21%. Low-middle-income countries have recovered relatively well from the East Asia crisis, while low-income and upper-middle-income countries have seen their situation deteriorate since the crisis. At the regional level, the main story is that East Asia is recovering quite well from its crisis, and that the financial performance of the operators in Africa and Latin America has deteriorated. Eastern Europe and South Asia are doing relatively better but show a large volatility of returns over time and within sectors. At the sector level, the railways and the water sectors have seen their performance deteriorate significantly over the period, while the energy and port sectors have done relatively better. In all sectors and regions, the average return to equity has been lower than the cost of equity since the Asian crisis.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 6 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.crninet.com/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alexander, Ian & Estache, Antonio & Oliveri, Adele, 2000.
"A few things transport regulators should know about risk and the cost of capital,"
Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-13, March.
- Alexander, Ian & Estache, Antonio & Oliveri, Adele, 1999. "A few things transport regulators should know about risk and the cost of capital," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2151, The World Bank.
- Antonio Estache & I. Alexander & A. Oliveri, 2001. "A few things transport regulators should know about risk and the cost of capital," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/43999, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.