Empirical Estimation of the Cost of Equity: An Application to Selected Brazilian Utilities Companies
We provide an extensive set of alternative models for the estimation of the real cost of equity in a sample of utitlites firms in Brazil with monthly data from March 2006 to June 2011.The main results are that the traditional CAPM is regected and, together with the Fama-French factors, give a poor fit, low beta and low predicted real return on equity. Additional factors improve the fit of the modesl and the estimated betas and real cost of equity increase relative to the traditional CAPM and Fama-French. Accounting for conditional heteroskedasticity shows that autocorrelation of variances is more important than news effects. The inclusion of higher order terms shows that the third order term is mostly significant and positive indicating preference for skewness in this sample period. Our estimates of betas and the implied predicted real cost of equity show that, across the best models, betas are significantly below unity in the range 0.26-0.73. The predicted real cost of equity, across the best models, for Brazil in this sector and smaple period averages 11% per year and is in the range of 8.7% to 13.2% per year.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (617) 627-3560
Fax: (617) 627-3917
Web page: http://ase.tufts.edu/economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joe Akira Yoshino, 2003. "Market Risk and Volatility in the Brazilian Stock Market," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 385-403, November.
- John Y. Campbell, 2007.
"Estimating the Equity Premium,"
NBER Working Papers
13423, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alexander, Ian & Estache, Antonio & Oliveri, Adele, 2000.
"A few things transport regulators should know about risk and the cost of capital,"
Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-13, March.
- Alexander, Ian & Estache, Antonio & Oliveri, Adele, 1999. "A few things transport regulators should know about risk and the cost of capital," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2151, The World Bank.
- Antonio Estache & I. Alexander & A. Oliveri, 2001. "A few things transport regulators should know about risk and the cost of capital," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/43999, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Krüger, Philipp & Landier, Augustin & Thesmar, David, 2011.
"The WACC Fallacy: The Real Effects of Using a Unique Discount Rate,"
IDEI Working Papers
629, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Krüger, Philipp & Landier, Augustin & Thesmar, David, 2011. "The WACC Fallacy: The Real Effects of Using a Unique Discount Rate," TSE Working Papers 11-222, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Yamagata, Takashi, 2012.
"Testing CAPM with a Large Number of Assets,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6469, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bianconi, Marcelo & Yoshino, Joe A., 2012. "Firm Market Performance and Volatility in a National Real Estate Sector," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 230-253.
- Marcelo Bianconi & Joe A. Yoshino & Mariana O. Machado de Sousa, 2011. "BRIC and the U.S. Financial Crisis: An Empirical Investigation of Stocks and Bonds Markets," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0764, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Eugene F. Fama & Kenneth R. French, 2004. "The Capital Asset Pricing Model: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 18(3), pages 25-46, Summer.
- Lee, Charles & Ng, David & Swaminathan, Bhaskaran, 2009. "Testing International Asset Pricing Models Using Implied Costs of Capital," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 44(02), pages 307-335, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tuf:tuftec:0765. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Caroline Kalogeropoulos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.