Managing Risks in a Volatile Environment: The Capital Inflows Problem in Asia
Since the financial crisis of 1997-98 and the subsequent sharp capital outflows from economies in Emerging Asia, the region has been running persistent balance of payments surpluses. The region has consequently become a net exporter of capital to the rest of the world while still depending very heavily on gross financing from the rest of the world. This paper has two parts. It briefly considers the dynamics of international capital flows to Emerging Asia, focusing on the types of flows into and out of the region. One way of overcoming the liquidity effects of persistent capital inflow is for policymakers to employ sterilized intervention. The paper therefore goes on to estimate the extent of monetary sterilization in Emerging Asia over the sample period 1990m1 to 2007m12.
Volume (Year): 62 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Garibaldi 4, 16124 Genova, Italy|
Phone: +39 010 27041
Fax: +39 010 2704222
Web page: http://www.iei1946.it/it/index.php
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alice Y. Ouyang & Ramkishen S. Rajan & Thomas D. Willett, 2007.
"China as a Reserve Sink: The Evidence from Offset and Sterilization Coefficients,"
102007, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Ouyang, Alice Y. & Rajan, Ramkishen S. & Willett, Thomas D., 2010. "China as a reserve sink: The evidence from offset and sterilization coefficients," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 951-972, September.
- Tony Cavoli & Ramkishen S. Rajan, 2005.
"THE CAPITAL INFLOWS PROBLEM IN SELECTED ASIAN ECONOMIES IN THE 1990s REVISITED : THE ROLE OF MONETARY STERILIZATION,"
Finance Working Papers
22562, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Tony Cavoli & Ramkishen S. Rajan, 2005. "The Capital Inflows Problem in Selected Asian Economies in the 1990s Revisited: The Role of Monetary Sterilization," SCAPE Policy Research Working Paper Series 0518, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics, SCAPE.
- Alice Y. Ouyang & Ramkishen S. Rajan & Tom Willett, 2007.
"Managing the Monetary Consequences of Reserve Accumulation in Emerging Asia,"
202007, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Alice Ouyang & Ramkishen Rajan & Tom Willett, 2008. "Managing the Monetary Consequences of Reserve Accumulation in Emerging Asia," Global Economic Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(2), pages 171-199.
- Jie Li & Ramkishen Rajan, 2005.
"Can High Reserves Offset Weak Fundamentals? A Simple Model of Precautionary Demand for Reserves,"
Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers
2005-09, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Li, Jie & Rajan, Ramkishen S., 2006. "Can High Reserves Offset Weak Fundamentals? A Simple Model of Precautionary Demand for Reserves," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio Industria Artigianato Agricoltura di Genova, vol. 59(3), pages 317-328.
- Mark A. Carlson & Leonardo Hernandez, 2002. "Determinants and repercussions of the composition of capital inflows," International Finance Discussion Papers 717, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Reinhart, Carmen & Montiel, Peter, 2001. "The Dynamics of Capital Movements to Emerging Economies During the 1990s," MPRA Paper 7577, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dasgupta, Dipak & Ratha, Dilip, 2000. "What factors appear to drive private capital flows to developing countries? and how does official lending respond?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2392, The World Bank.
- Romain Ranciere & Olivier D Jeanne, 2006. "The Optimal Level of International Reserves for Emerging Market Countries; Formulas and Applications," IMF Working Papers 06/229, International Monetary Fund.
- Jung Sik Kim & Jie Li & Ramkishen S. Rajan & Ozan Sula & Thomas D. Willett, 2007. "Reserve Adequacy In Asia Revisited: New Benchmarks Based On The Size And Composition Of Capital Flow," Korean Economic Review, Korean Economic Association, vol. 23, pages 131-158.
- Chuhan, Punam & Perez-Quiros, Gabriel & Popper, Helen, 1996. "International capital flows : do short-term investment and direct investment differ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1669, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:ecoint:0002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Procopio)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.