Can High Reserves Offset Weak Fundamentals? A Simple Model of Precautionary Demand for Reserves
Apart from exchange rate objectives which have resulted in reserve accumulation as a side effect, Asian countries have chosen explicitly to build up reserves for precautionary motives. This paper explores the issue of optimal precautionary demand for reserves by a central bank within a context of a simple analytical model. The model suggests that, in general, high reserve can help offset weak fundamentals. However, if fundamentals are suffi ciently weak no level of reserves will be able to offset the weak fundamentals.
Volume (Year): 59 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Garibaldi 4, 16124 Genova, Italy|
Phone: +39 010 27041
Fax: +39 010 2704222
Web page: http://www.iei1946.it/it/index.php
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kletzer, Kenneth & Spiegel, Mark M., 2004.
"Sterilization costs and exchange rate targeting,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 897-915, October.
- Keltzer, K. & Spiegel, M., 1999. "Sterilization Costs and Exchange Rate Targeting," Papers pb99-03, Economisch Institut voor het Midden en Kleinbedrijf-.
- Kenneth Kletzer & Mark Spiegel, 1999. "Sterilization costs and exchange rate targeting," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 99-03, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Jung Sik Kim & Jie Li & Ramkishen S. Rajan & Ozan Sula & Thomas D. Willett, 2007. "Reserve Adequacy In Asia Revisited: New Benchmarks Based On The Size And Composition Of Capital Flow," Korean Economic Review, Korean Economic Association, vol. 23, pages 131-158.
- Christian B. Mulder & Matthieu Bussière, 1999. "External Vulnerability in Emerging Market Economies; How High Liquidity Can Offset Weak Fundamentals and the Effects of Contagion," IMF Working Papers 99/88, International Monetary Fund.
- Ben-Bassat, Avraham & Gottlieb, Daniel, 1992. "Optimal international reserves and sovereign risk," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3-4), pages 345-362, November.
- M. Nowak & Ketil Hviding & Luca A Ricci, 2004. "Can Higher Reserves Help Reduce Exchange Rate Volatility?," IMF Working Papers 04/189, International Monetary Fund. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)