Innovation capabilities in the private sector: evaluating subsidies for hiring S&T workers in Spain
This article evaluates the effectiveness of a public programme intended to improve innovation capabilities in the private sector by subsidizing the hiring of research and development (R&D) personnel. Using information from the programme management database, we study factors associated with the duration of contracts and their transformation into open-ended contracts, a basic aim of the programme. We explore the characteristics of subsidies, individuals, entities, and projects related to the eventual stabilization of the new R&D employees, when the subsidies had ended. The programme was found to strengthen R&D capacity in recipient firms—above all in technology centres—yet, only about half of the subsidized short-term contracts had been converted into permanent contracts by the end of their second year.
Volume (Year): 25 (2016)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- José Ángel Zúñiga-Vicente & César Alonso-Borrego & Francisco J. Forcadell & José I. Galán, 2014.
"Assessing The Effect Of Public Subsidies On Firm R&D Investment: A Survey,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(1), pages 36-67, February.
- Zúñiga-Vicente, José Ángel & Forcadell, Francisco Javier & Galán-Zazo, José I. & Alonso-Borrego, César, 2012. "Assessing the effect of public subsidies on firm R&D investment : a survey," UC3M Working papers. Economics we1215, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Xulia González & Jordi Jaumandreu & Consuelo Pazo, 2005. "Barriers to Innovation and Subsidy Effectiveness," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 36(4), pages 930-949, Winter.
- Xulia González & Jordi Jaumandreu & Consuelo Pazó, 2001. "Barriers to innovation and subsidy e¤ectiveness," Working Papers 0112, Universidade de Vigo, Departamento de Economía Aplicada.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Pischke, Jorn-Steffen, 1999. "Beyond Becker: Training in Imperfect Labour Markets," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(453), pages 112-142, February.
- Daron Acemoglu & Joern-Steffen Pischke, 1998. "Beyond Becker: Training in Imperfect Labor Markets," Working papers 98-12, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Daron Acemoglu & Jorn-Steffen Pischke, 1998. "Beyond Becker: Training in Imperfect Labor Markets," NBER Working Papers 6740, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Isabel Busom, 2000. "An Empirical Evaluation of The Effects of R&D Subsidies," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 111-148.
- Russell Thomson & Paul H. Jensen, 2010. "The Effects of Public Subsidies on R&D Employment: Evidence from OECD Countries," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2010n11, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Mowery, David C & Oxley, Joanne E, 1995. "Inward Technology Transfer and Competitiveness: The Role of National Innovation Systems," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 67-93, February.
- Martínez Ros, Ester & Corchuelo, Beatriz, 2008. "Aplicación de los incentivos fiscales a la inversión en I+D en las empresas españolas," DEE - Documentos de Trabajo. Economía de la Empresa. DB db080101, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Georghiou, Luke & Roessner, David, 2000. "Evaluating technology programs: tools and methods," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(4-5), pages 657-678, April.
- Richard Williams, 2006. "Generalized ordered logit/partial proportional odds models for ordinal dependent variables," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 6(1), pages 58-82, March.
- Hall, Bronwyn & Van Reenen, John, 2000. "How effective are fiscal incentives for R&D? A review of the evidence," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(4-5), pages 449-469, April.
- José García-Quevedo, 2004. "Do Public Subsidies Complement Business R&D? A Meta-Analysis of the Econometric Evidence," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(1), pages 87-102, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:rseval:v:25:y:2016:i:2:p:196-208.. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.