A robust VaR model under different time periods and weighting schemes
This paper analyses several volatility models by examining their ability to forecast Value-at-Risk (VaR) for two different time periods and two capitalization weighting schemes. Specifically, VaR is calculated for large and small capitalization stocks, based on Dow Jones (DJ) Euro Stoxx indices and is modeled for long and short trading positions by using non parametric, semi parametric and parametric methods. In order to choose one model among the various forecasting methods, a two-stage backtesting procedure is implemented. In the first stage the unconditional coverage test is used to examine the statistical accuracy of the models. In the second stage a loss function is applied to investigate whether the differences between the models, that calculated accurately the VaR, are statistically significant. Under this framework, the combination of a parametric model with the historical simulation produced robust results across the sample periods, market capitalization schemes, trading positions and confidence levels and therefore there is a risk measure that is reliable. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2007
Volume (Year): 28 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=102990|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- So, Mike K.P. & Yu, Philip L.H., 2006. "Empirical analysis of GARCH models in value at risk estimation," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 180-197, April.
- Vlaar, Peter J. G., 2000. "Value at risk models for Dutch bond portfolios," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(7), pages 1131-1154, July.
- GIOT, Pierre & LAURENT, Sébastien, 2001.
"Value-at-risk for long and short trading positions,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2001022, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pierre Giot & Sébastien Laurent, 2003. "Value-at-risk for long and short trading positions," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(6), pages 641-663.
- GIOT, Pierre & LAURENT, Sébastien, . "Value-at-Risk for long and short trading positions," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1707, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pierre Giot and S»bastien Laurent, 2001. "Value-At-Risk For Long And Short Trading Positions," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 94, Society for Computational Economics.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 1995.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 253-63, July.
- Francis X. Diebold & Robert S. Mariano, 1994. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," NBER Technical Working Papers 0169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, . "DMARIANO: RATS procedure to compute Diebold-Mariano Forecast Comparison Test," Statistical Software Components RTS00055, Boston College Department of Economics.
- ROCKINGER, Michael & JONDEAU, Eric, 2001.
"Testing for differences in the tails of stock-market returns,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
739, HEC Paris.
- Jondeau, Eric & Rockinger, Michael, 2003. "Testing for differences in the tails of stock-market returns," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 559-581, December.
- Michael Rockinger & Eric Jondeau, 2001. "Testing for differences in the tails of stock-market returns," Working Papers hal-00601480, HAL.
- Ser-Huang Poon & Clive W.J. Granger, 2003. "Forecasting Volatility in Financial Markets: A Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 41(2), pages 478-539, June.
- Brooks, Robert D. & Faff, Robert W. & McKenzie, Michael D. & Mitchell, Heather, 2000. "A multi-country study of power ARCH models and national stock market returns," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 377-397, June.
- Fong Chan, Kam & Gray, Philip, 2006. "Using extreme value theory to measure value-at-risk for daily electricity spot prices," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 283-300.
- Ho, Lan-Chih & Burridge, Peter & Cadle, John & Theobald, Michael, 2000. "Value-at-risk: Applying the extreme value approach to Asian markets in the recent financial turmoil," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 249-275, May.
- Hansen, Peter Reinhard, 2005. "A Test for Superior Predictive Ability," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 365-380, October.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
- Gita Persand & Chris Brooks, 2003. "Volatility forecasting for risk management," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(1), pages 1-22.
- GIOT, Pierre & LAURENT, Sébastien, .
"Market risk in commodity markets: a VaR approach,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1682, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Christoffersen, Peter F, 1998. "Evaluating Interval Forecasts," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 841-62, November.
- R.W.J. van den Goorbergh & P.J.G. Vlaar, 1999.
"Value-at-Risk Analysis of Stock Returns Historical Simulation,Variance Techniques or Tail Index Estimation?,"
DNB Staff Reports (discontinued)
40, Netherlands Central Bank.
- R.W.J. van den Goorbergh & P.J.G. Vlaar, 1999. "Value-at-Risk analysis of stock returns: Historical simulation, varinace techniques or tail index estimation ?," WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) 579, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Timotheos Angelidis & Alexandros Benos & Stavros Degiannakis, 2010. "The Use of GARCH Models in VaR Estimation," Working Papers 0048, University of Peloponnese, Department of Economics.
- Francis X. Diebold & Til Schuermann & John D. Stroughair, 1998.
"Pitfalls and Opportunities in the Use of Extreme Value Theory in Risk Management,"
New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires
98-081, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Francis X. Diebold & Til Schuermann & John D. Stroughair, 1998. "Pitfalls and Opportunities in the Use of Extreme Value Theory in Risk Management," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 98-10, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Keith Kuester & Stefan Mittnik & Marc S. Paolella, 2006. "Value-at-Risk Prediction: A Comparison of Alternative Strategies," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(1), pages 53-89.
- R. F. Engle & A. J. Patton, 2001. "What good is a volatility model?," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 237-245.
- Billio, Monica & Pelizzon, Loriana, 2000. "Value-at-Risk: a multivariate switching regime approach," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 531-554, December.
- Mittnik, Stefan & Paolella, Marc S. & Rachev, Svetlozar T., 2000. "Diagnosing and treating the fat tails in financial returns data," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(3-4), pages 389-416, November.
- ROCKINGER, Michael & JONDEAU, Eric, 1999.
"The Tail Behavior of Stock Returns: Emerging versus Mature Markets,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
668, HEC Paris.
- Jondeau, E. & Rockinger, M., 1999. "The Tail Behavior of Sotck Returns: Emerging Versus Mature Markets," Working papers 66, Banque de France.
- Gencay, Ramazan & Selcuk, Faruk, 2004. "Extreme value theory and Value-at-Risk: Relative performance in emerging markets," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 287-303.
- Timotheos Angelidis & Alexandros Benos, 2008. "Value-at-Risk for Greek Stocks," Multinational Finance Journal, Multinational Finance Journal, vol. 12(1-2), pages 67-104, March-Jun.
- Brooks, C. & Clare, A.D. & Dalle Molle, J.W. & Persand, G., 2005. "A comparison of extreme value theory approaches for determining value at risk," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 339-352, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:rqfnac:v:28:y:2007:i:2:p:187-201. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.