A robust VaR model under different time periods and weighting schemes
This paper analyses several volatility models by examining their ability to forecast Value-at-Risk (VaR) for two different time periods and two capitalization weighting schemes. Specifically, VaR is calculated for large and small capitalization stocks, based on Dow Jones (DJ) Euro Stoxx indices and is modeled for long and short trading positions by using non parametric, semi parametric and parametric methods. In order to choose one model among the various forecasting methods, a two-stage backtesting procedure is implemented. In the first stage the unconditional coverage test is used to examine the statistical accuracy of the models. In the second stage a loss function is applied to investigate whether the differences between the models, that calculated accurately the VaR, are statistically significant. Under this framework, the combination of a parametric model with the historical simulation produced robust results across the sample periods, market capitalization schemes, trading positions and confidence levels and therefore there is a risk measure that is reliable. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2007
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 28 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=102990|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mittnik, Stefan & Paolella, Marc S. & Rachev, Svetlozar T., 2000. "Diagnosing and treating the fat tails in financial returns data," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(3-4), pages 389-416, November.
- Vlaar, Peter J. G., 2000. "Value at risk models for Dutch bond portfolios," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(7), pages 1131-1154, July.
- R. F. Engle & A. J. Patton, 2001. "What good is a volatility model?," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 237-245.
- ROCKINGER, Michael & JONDEAU, Eric, 2001.
"Testing for differences in the tails of stock-market returns,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
739, HEC Paris.
- Jondeau, Eric & Rockinger, Michael, 2003. "Testing for differences in the tails of stock-market returns," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 559-581, December.
- ROCKINGER, Michael & JONDEAU, Eric, 1999.
"The Tail Behavior of Stock Returns: Emerging versus Mature Markets,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
668, HEC Paris.
- Jondeau, E. & Rockinger, M., 1999. "The Tail Behavior of Sotck Returns: Emerging Versus Mature Markets," Working papers 66, Banque de France.
- Billio, Monica & Pelizzon, Loriana, 2000. "Value-at-Risk: a multivariate switching regime approach," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 531-554, December.
- Gencay, Ramazan & Selcuk, Faruk, 2004. "Extreme value theory and Value-at-Risk: Relative performance in emerging markets," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 287-303.
- So, Mike K.P. & Yu, Philip L.H., 2006. "Empirical analysis of GARCH models in value at risk estimation," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 180-197, April.
- Brooks, Robert D. & Faff, Robert W. & McKenzie, Michael D. & Mitchell, Heather, 2000. "A multi-country study of power ARCH models and national stock market returns," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 377-397, June.
- GIOT, Pierre & LAURENT, SÃ©bastien, 2003.
"Market risk in commodity markets: a VaR approach,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2003028, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
- Francis X. Diebold & Til Schuermann & John D. Stroughair, 1998.
"Pitfalls and Opportunities in the Use of Extreme Value Theory in Risk Management,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
98-10, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Francis X. Diebold & Til Schuermann & John D. Stroughair, 1998. "Pitfalls and Opportunities in the Use of Extreme Value Theory in Risk Management," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 98-081, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Gita Persand & Chris Brooks, 2003. "Volatility forecasting for risk management," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(1), pages 1-22.
- Timotheos Angelidis & Alexandros Benos & Stavros Degiannakis, 2010. "The Use of GARCH Models in VaR Estimation," Working Papers 0048, University of Peloponnese, Department of Economics.
- Francis X. Diebold & Robert S. Mariano, 1994.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 2002. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 134-44, January.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 1995. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 253-63, July.
- Ser-Huang Poon & Clive W.J. Granger, 2003. "Forecasting Volatility in Financial Markets: A Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 41(2), pages 478-539, June.
- Timotheos Angelidis & Alexandros Benos, 2008. "Value-at-Risk for Greek Stocks," Multinational Finance Journal, Multinational Finance Journal, vol. 12(1-2), pages 67-104, March-Jun.
- R.W.J. van den Goorbergh & P.J.G. Vlaar, 1999.
"Value-at-Risk Analysis of Stock Returns Historical Simulation,Variance Techniques or Tail Index Estimation?,"
DNB Staff Reports (discontinued)
40, Netherlands Central Bank.
- R.W.J. van den Goorbergh & P.J.G. Vlaar, 1999. "Value-at-Risk analysis of stock returns: Historical simulation, varinace techniques or tail index estimation ?," WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) 579, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Brooks, C. & Clare, A.D. & Dalle Molle, J.W. & Persand, G., 2005. "A comparison of extreme value theory approaches for determining value at risk," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 339-352, March.
- Hansen, Peter Reinhard, 2005. "A Test for Superior Predictive Ability," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 365-380, October.
- Pierre Giot & Sébastien Laurent, 2003.
"Value-at-risk for long and short trading positions,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(6), pages 641-663.
- GIOT, Pierre & LAURENT, SÃ©bastien, 2001. "Value-at-risk for long and short trading positions," CORE Discussion Papers 2001022, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pierre Giot and S»bastien Laurent, 2001. "Value-At-Risk For Long And Short Trading Positions," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 94, Society for Computational Economics.
- Ho, Lan-Chih & Burridge, Peter & Cadle, John & Theobald, Michael, 2000. "Value-at-risk: Applying the extreme value approach to Asian markets in the recent financial turmoil," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 249-275, May.
- Fong Chan, Kam & Gray, Philip, 2006. "Using extreme value theory to measure value-at-risk for daily electricity spot prices," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 283-300.
- Keith Kuester & Stefan Mittnik & Marc S. Paolella, 2006. "Value-at-Risk Prediction: A Comparison of Alternative Strategies," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(1), pages 53-89.
- Christoffersen, Peter F, 1998. "Evaluating Interval Forecasts," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 841-62, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:rqfnac:v:28:y:2007:i:2:p:187-201. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.