Violence, bribery, and fraud: the political economy of elections in Sub-Saharan Africa
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Assar Lindbeck & Jörgen Weibull, 1987. "Balanced-budget redistribution as the outcome of political competition," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 52(3), pages 273-297, January.
- Matthew Ellman & Leonard Wantchekon, 2000.
"Electoral Competition Under the Threat of Political Unrest,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 115(2), pages 499-531.
- Matthew Ellman & Leonard Wantchekon, 1999. "Electoral competition under the threat of political unrest," Economics Working Papers 457, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Nicola Persico & Alessandro Lizzeri, 2001.
"The Provision of Public Goods under Alternative Electoral Incentives,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(1), pages 225-239, March.
- Alessro Lizzeri & Nicola Persico, "undated". "The Provision of Public Goods Under Alternative Electoral Incentives," Penn CARESS Working Papers b96440ba0bfa06ca550ac40aa, Penn Economics Department.
- Alessandro Lizzeri & Nicola Persico, "undated". ""The Provision of Public Goods Under Alternative Electoral Incentives''," CARESS Working Papres 98-08, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Esteban, Joan & Ray, Debraj, 1994.
"On the Measurement of Polarization,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(4), pages 819-851, July.
- Joan-Maria Esteban & Debraj Ray, 1991. "On the Measurement of Polarization," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 18, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Esteban, J. & Ray, D., 1993. "On the Measurement of Polarization," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 221.93, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Esteban, J.M. & Ray, D., 1992. "On the Measurement of Polarization," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 171.92, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Lisa Chauvet & Paul Collier, 2009.
"Elections and economic policy in developing countries,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 24, pages 509-550, July.
- Lisa Chauvet & Paul Collier, 2008. "Elections and Economic Policy in Developing Countries," Working Papers DT/2008/11, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Lisa Chauvet & Paul Collier, 2008. "Elections and Economic Policy in Developing Countries," CSAE Working Paper Series 2008-34, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Ashish Chaturvedi, 2005. "Rigging elections with violence," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 125(1), pages 189-202, July.
- Mwangi Kimenyi & William Shughart, 2010.
"The political economy of constitutional choice: a study of the 2005 Kenyan constitutional referendum,"
Constitutional Political Economy,
Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 1-27, March.
- Mwangi S. Kimenyi & William F. Shughart II, 2008. "The Political Economy of Constitutional Choice: A Study of the 2005 Kenyan Constitutional Referendum," Working papers 2008-08, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Konrad, Kai A, 2000. "Sabotage in Rent-Seeking Contests," Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(1), pages 155-165, April.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/4315 is not listed on IDEAS
- Anthony Downs, 1957. "An Economic Theory of Political Action in a Democracy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 65, pages 135-135.
- Eddie Dekel & Matthew O. Jackson & Asher Wolinsky, 2008. "Vote Buying: General Elections," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 116(2), pages 351-380, April.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1996.
"Electoral Competition and Special Interest Politics,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 63(2), pages 265-286.
- Gene Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1994. "Electoral Competition and Special Interest Politics," NBER Working Papers 4877, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey Weiss, 1988. "Is vote-selling desirable?," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 59(2), pages 177-194, November.
- Michael Bratton & Mwangi S. Kimenyi, 2008. "Voting in Kenya: Putting Ethnicity in Perspective," Working papers 2008-09, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- repec:cup:apsrev:v:89:y:1995:i:01:p:49-61_09 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:apsrev:v:87:y:1993:i:04:p:856-869_10 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:apsrev:v:90:y:1996:i:02:p:303-315_20 is not listed on IDEAS
- Atin Basuchoudhary & William Shughart, 2010. "On Ethnic Conflict And The Origins Of Transnational Terrorism," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 65-87.
- Gary S. Becker, 1983. "A Theory of Competition Among Pressure Groups for Political Influence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 98(3), pages 371-400.
More about this item
KeywordsViolence; Fraud; Vote-buying; Electoral politics; Political economy; Sub-Saharan Africa; D72; O55; P16;
- D72 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Political Processes: Rent-seeking, Lobbying, Elections, Legislatures, and Voting Behavior
- O55 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Africa
- P16 - Economic Systems - - Capitalist Systems - - - Political Economy of Capitalism
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:pubcho:v:153:y:2012:i:1:p:117-147. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.